Talk

Advanced search

Today we are adopting 2 kittens

(10 Posts)
BatCrapCrazy Tue 23-Dec-14 11:08:11

My friend has 2 kittens who are 4 months old but her daughter has developed a serious allergy to them (she has been hospitalised) so we are adopting them today!
I'm about to go to pets and home, b and m bargains etc so what do I need?
I've never had cats before. Also any general tips would be much appreciated.

PumpkinsMummy Tue 23-Dec-14 12:23:15

Hi, lovely news, how exciting!

You will need at least one cat carrier depending on size. Also a litter tray big enough for 2 cats. I prefer the hooded ones. Cat litter (check what they are using just now and use the same initially, you can them phase onto your type of choice. I find low dust clumping (John Martin from Asda) is perfect for my house cat and very good value), food, again, whatever they are eating just now, should be a good quality kitten food with at least some wet at this age. Litter scoop, a cat scratch post, possibly some cat nip spray for it to encourage use.

A feliway spray would be good if you can afford it, spray it into the carrier 15 mins before you get them and also anywhere in the house they are likely to be at first. A good sized water bowl, and food bowls (you can use your old tea plates for their food bowls if you have them). Decide where they will sleep (do you want radiator beds, igloo beds or leave them to choose sofa's/human beds?) and perhaps get a few cheap fleeces for them to have. Ikea do huge ones that can be cut down, are very cheap and wash well, dry quickly etc.

You should think about a room to have them in to settle them at first. They may be a bit overwhelmed and would probably prefer somewhere with safe, comfy little hiding places to explore from. Register them with a vet asap and get them checked over. They should have been flew treated and wormed recently and have had all their jabs. They will also need to be neutered if not already.

Some very knowledgeable posters will soon be along with much better advice soon I'm sure. Oh, and don't forget to post pictures!

HeyMacWey Tue 23-Dec-14 12:29:29

Yes to a covered litter tray and a scratching post. Is your friend not just going to pass on what they've been using seeing as you're so kindly taking them off her hands?

Don't worry about toys - in a few days time they'll be write content with wrapping paper tied to a piece of string!

Yes - keep them in one room for a few days till they get used to you.

Don't let them outside.

Have fun grin

SugarPlumTree Tue 23-Dec-14 12:32:31

Well done ! Can't add much other than ti Hey mac's comment on toys - if you have a tree up they will most definitely find toys !

thecatneuterer Tue 23-Dec-14 17:57:15

You should find the first few pages of this thread useful: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/1681116-Were-probably-getting-a-rescue-cat-soon-What-do-we-need-to-buy-and-how-much-will-upkeep-cost

Also they should be neutered in a month's time. We neuter at four months. Other vets will only neuter at five. So really as soon as the holidays are over you should be looking to book them in somewhere.

And if they haven't yet been vaccinated you should really do that straight away. With the first lot of vaccines you need to have one, and then a booster three weeks later. So get the first ones done soon in the New Year. Then book them in for the booster and the neutering three weeks later. And of course get them chipped at the same time as neutering.

BatCrapCrazy Tue 23-Dec-14 19:18:21

They're home and they are adorable. The boy (jake) is much more timid than the girl (elsa) and he has spent most of the time behind the sofa. Elsa has been playing beautifully with the kids. The pic attached is Elsa

BatCrapCrazy Tue 23-Dec-14 19:31:02

This is jake

cozietoesie Tue 23-Dec-14 21:15:11

What a wonderful pair.

smile

GilbertBlytheWouldGiftIt Tue 23-Dec-14 21:45:42

Gorgeous! Congrats, enjoy your new kitty family!

Micah Tue 23-Dec-14 21:53:52

I will go against and say no to covered litter trays. Apparently cats like to be able to see any predators so can get stressed if their view is blocked while doing their business. Mine is definitely better with a standard.

But otherwise kittens are fairly straightforward! Good luck and enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now