Talk

Advanced search

Christmas present castration

(16 Posts)
CatIshoo Mon 22-Dec-14 15:47:25

My kitten got neutered today and I'm sure he is looking at me with complete betrayal. They said he could come home early as he was being so timid, which I can't really blame him for as he missing bits of him that were there before he went to the vets.

I know it's the responsible thing to do but it looks sore and I have to restrict his food which he is not impressed with.

Poor little mite.

chockbic Mon 22-Dec-14 15:51:16

I laughed at the title.

Poor puss. He'll be fine though in a couple of days.

cozietoesie Mon 22-Dec-14 15:52:54

All of mine have been fine by the next day. He'll be OK - and yes, you did absolutely the right thing.

CatIshoo Mon 22-Dec-14 15:56:13

It's not much of a present is it grin!

He is currently sat by where his bowl normally is looking wistfully at it and then at us.

chockbic Mon 22-Dec-14 15:58:52

I've had that with mine. Been eating bits of egg and rice. Not impressed.

cozietoesie Mon 22-Dec-14 16:20:32

I've always given my boys a small amount of food by early evening at the latest - if only to reassure them that home is still home. What did your vet advise?

CatIshoo Mon 22-Dec-14 16:34:31

They've given us a sachet of special food and told us to give him half (if possible thirds but that wasn't going to happen) and then half later on.

He devoured the first half and there has been no sign of any vomiting yet.

cozietoesie Mon 22-Dec-14 16:45:49

Has he got plenty of fresh water to hand?

CatIshoo Mon 22-Dec-14 16:54:44

Yes, he is drinking loads.

cozietoesie Mon 22-Dec-14 16:58:55

Good for him. He sounds OK then.

smile

chockbic Mon 22-Dec-14 17:01:42

Recovery is quicker for boys than girls.

A Christmas he won't forget fsmile

RubbishMantra Mon 22-Dec-14 17:59:21

MKitten was a starving rabid mad thing when I brought him home after his "procedure". Throwing himself about like an acrobat, and constantly shouting for food. I fed him tiny amounts of chicken Applaws with water mixed in to ensure he was hydrated. I fed him more than than advised (guilt) but very little and often. I think the vet's drugs gave him the munchies.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 22-Dec-14 18:02:40

I just fed mine normally. Obviously that's a faux pas these days.

LastingLight Mon 22-Dec-14 18:23:23

I don't remember our vet giving any feeding instructions, we just fed the boy normally as well and he was fine.

thecatneuterer Mon 22-Dec-14 18:26:10

We tell people to feed their cats normally after neutering. And I can't count the number of 'neuter and returns' I've fed. They've all been fine.

CatIshoo Mon 22-Dec-14 19:16:51

Thank you for the replies. I've given him some more food and he's a lot happier. He's now having a sleep smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now