Talk

Advanced search

Adopted Ragdoll

(23 Posts)
ApplySomePressure Thu 18-Dec-14 20:05:18

Brought home a gorgeous 16mo old female ragdoll today. She's very confident and has settled in very well.smile

Looking for some advice, I've never owned a cat. DH had a cat growing up. Want to do the best for our girl,as she hasn't had the best start...

DH took her to the vet and she wasn't in great condition sad Dirty ears, dull coat, bit underweight. ..DH suspects the owners used her to produce litter and then wanted rid hmm.

We have worming and flea tablets and ear drops from the vet.

She was on go cat food, but want to try on something with a higher protein. Any recommendations?

Shall we let her sleep where she chooses?

soph123kay Thu 18-Dec-14 20:10:57

we have a ragdoll there very laid back cats. ours sleeps most of the day and wakes as soon as he hears food being dished out. just keep brushing her and feed her a good food ur vet should be able to recommend one. xx

soph123kay Thu 18-Dec-14 20:13:49

heres ours hes a red pointed ragdoll

thecatneuterer Thu 18-Dec-14 20:41:21

Go Cat is the McDonalds of cat food. Try Applaws if you want a dried food. It's high protein and cereal free. I would also give her wet food to get her weight up (and just because cats like it).

It's up to you about the sleeping thing. At the moment my cat beds with electric heat pads are in great demand. Others of mine like normal beds. Some sleep on my bed. Others on top of the microwave or the top of the kitchen units... Left to their own devices cats will choose their own sleeping place, but not always stick to it. They seem to also like variety. However if you don't want a cat on your bed/on your worktops or whatever then that's up to you (but good luck with stopping her!).

ApplySomePressure Thu 18-Dec-14 20:57:29

soph123kay gorgeous! How old is he? She seems to be very laid back, doesn't mind my 20mo DS at all!

thecatneuterer I suspected as much...we have just ordered some wet and dry applaws, thanks for the recommendation!

Here she is...! (Not the best photo...)

thecatneuterer Thu 18-Dec-14 21:10:54

She's beautiful.

Arden Grange is another very good food. I would never order large quantities of any new food as you don't know if your cat will like them. Start with small packets.

And for wet food - a cheap but very good (and vet-recommended and cereal-free) tinned one is Butchers Classic - available in most large supermarkets for around £5.40 for a pack of 12 cans.

ApplySomePressure Thu 18-Dec-14 21:15:26

good advice, thanks!

Also, she had a litter around 14 weeks ago, when would be best to get her neutered? Her belly seems a little tender, the vet said to keep an eye on it.

thecatneuterer Thu 18-Dec-14 21:24:13

We frequently neuter cats the day after they give birth. But if the vet thinks it would be best to wait a bit then just be guided by him/her.

MagratsLongWhiteBeard Thu 18-Dec-14 21:27:55

I'm on the mobile app so can't see any photos! angry angry angry

OP I have a rescue ragdoll who was an ex breeder and was scrawny when she came to me. I got her in October and she is now beautiful and fluffy and her coat is shiny again as we keep stroking her smile my girl was worn out and exhausted when she came to us and she's only 5

I feed her on Royal Canin dry food which i buy from Amazon and i keep the bowl topped up and accessible to her all of the time. She also has half a pouch of Whiskas every morning and evening, so one pouch per day.

We have a cat tree that she sleeps on in the day but she just tends to use the sofa at night I think, she does have a bed but has never used it.

AmeliaPeabody Fri 19-Dec-14 02:13:55

Lovely! We've owned many different breeds, and Ragdolls are one of our favourites. Very laid back, but (though all positive) very social and attention-seeking, and vocal. Mine sleeps where she likes. She eats Iams dry, supplemented with wet food, but she won't eat anything with gravy or jelly, so has Encore, fresh fish, chicken or similar.

Your Ragdolls seem to have really quite short fur though I notice? Are they variants I wonder as the Ragdoll usually has long fur (well semi long hair is the correct term).

Here's a picture of mine.

RubbishMantra Fri 19-Dec-14 11:14:30

You could give her kitten food to build her up, Applaws do a kitten version. Also bear in mind that the Applaws tins are a supplement, not a complete food in themselves.

Well done for rescuing her! She's beautiful. smile

emeline Fri 19-Dec-14 11:24:18

Apply congratulations! She looks absolutely gorgeous in the photo. What's her name?

fenvy

MinimalistMommi Fri 19-Dec-14 16:20:05

How gorgeous!
Our raggy is on raw and has a very glossy speak coat! Here's a pick he's just shredded a tissue!

MinimalistMommi Fri 19-Dec-14 16:20:37

*Sleek

ApplySomePressure Fri 19-Dec-14 17:29:06

Thanks for your advice everyone! Can't see pics on the mobile, but will log in on pc later. Suddenly I've become cat obsessed!

We are feeding applaws tin and dry mixed together and she wolfed it down! grin

Given her a good groom and she looks better already!

ApplySomePressure Fri 19-Dec-14 17:47:41

We named her Paloma smile

ApplySomePressure Fri 19-Dec-14 19:24:50

If anyone is still reading this, I have a question....

Her breasts seem really engorged, as though they are still producing milk? sad

DH couldn't see any kittens at previous owner's house, but we are now worried that her kittens were taken away too early sad

ApplySomePressure Wed 24-Dec-14 18:44:50

Quick update....she had the beginnings of mastitis sad

She had a shot of antibiotics and on painkillers once a day, and has perked up so much! She's currently hunting a toy smile

thecatneuterer Wed 24-Dec-14 19:10:56

Poor thing. I'm glad she's on the mend and that her breeding days are behind her.

ApplySomePressure Wed 24-Dec-14 19:54:23

She's being neutered in the new year!

peckforton Thu 01-Jan-15 21:35:52

I have a rescue Ragdoll with dicky bowels and Butchers Classic cat is great as it is wheat free.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 02-Jan-15 19:00:44

Poo cat. I'm glad she's with you now.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 02-Jan-15 19:25:59

Poor*

Sorry, whisky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now