Talk

Advanced search

Finally I've Found a Collar That Stays On

(5 Posts)
ZaraW Thu 18-Dec-14 17:06:30

So my cat is an expert at removing her collar. I'm lucky if one will last a week usually a day or two. We live near a main road and I like her to have a collar just in case. Got her a Beastie Band and she's had it for six weeks and is still going strong. It's a soft stretchy material and has a Velcro fastener. Just thought I would post in case it is of use to anyone. I got mine from E Bay.

www.thecatconnection.com/cats/everyday-beastie-bands.html

RubbishMantra Thu 18-Dec-14 19:43:09

I actually prefer a collar that comes off easily. I use the ones with the safety snap release, and I modify them to ensure they come off easily in an emergency. I only put a collar on mine so I can attach their Loc8tors to it, otherwise I wouldn't bother. I've checked out those Beastie Bands before, when someone else recommended them on here. Stretchy collars make me uneasy, they can cause all kinds of unpleasant injuries to cats. sad

Is your girl chipped?

thecatneuterer Thu 18-Dec-14 20:35:43

I was thinking the same as RubbishMantra. If you cat isn't able to get this collar off, like the others, then that means it's dangerous. We see so many collar wounds, and deaths due to collars (getting stuck somewhere/hanging etc) that I would steer clear of all but the snap-off collars. And even then I would only use those if it were absolutely necessary for some reason (such as to attach a LocAtor).

Our advice generally is chip your cat and don't use a collar.

Wolfiefan Thu 18-Dec-14 20:42:40

We used to use these collars. They are only held on by Velcro so should come off if cat gets leg through or caught on a bush.
Our cat is chipped and hasn't worn a collar in years.

thecatneuterer Thu 18-Dec-14 20:45:08

Yes they're probably not as bad as the buckle ones with a bit of elastic. I still don't think that any collar is really worth the risk (unless you're using Loc8tor - which are wonderful things ...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now