Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about fleas and hygiene and where your cat is allowed

(11 Posts)
issynoho Tue 16-Dec-14 19:35:31

Just found a flea on one of our cats. Bloody buggering bastards. Our fault - ran out of Frontline, forgot to get more.

We need to get into a good routine of fleaing them and also making sure they're only allowed in certain rooms so if a flea does get through, I haven't got to change every single bloody bed and deep-Hoover every sodding inch of carpet. And knowing they are on the house just niggles at me and stresses me and makes me irritable. Probably because we once had a bad infestation with out last cat and the DC were babies and it was just eurgh awful.

So how do you all keep on top of fleas and where your cats are allowed?

Micah Tue 16-Dec-14 19:37:49

Cat's allowed anywhere.

I deflea as and when. I don't get stressed about the house as the fleas can only live on the cat so as long as the cat is treated they'll die.

isseywithcats Tue 16-Dec-14 19:44:20

i frontline mine on the first of each month because thats the day my rent is paid is easy to remember, and my cats are not allowed in the bedrooms at all, because A i dont want furry beds and B hopefully no fleas or poos or wees either,

GobblersKnob Tue 16-Dec-14 19:46:46

Dogs not cats, allowed everywhere, pick up fleas all year round, they have been really bad this year, always treated so they die quickly but it's not uncommon to find them with or two.

bakingtins Tue 16-Dec-14 19:47:13

It's counterproductive to ban the cats from certain areas ( from a fleas point of view, you may have other reasons for doing it) as the flea eggs are sticky and will be carried round by people's feet. If you have fleas hatching in cat free areas they won't jump onto the treated cat and be killed, they'll jump onto you and bite you.
Frontline is rubbish, get Advantage instead and apply it on the 1st of every month so you remember.
The flea you see on the cat is the tip of the iceberg, if you are seeing fleas you need to treat the environment. Only the adult fleas live on the cat ( but are quite happy sucking human blood until they locate a dog or cat) the eggs, larvae, pupae and newly hatched adults are all in the house.

issynoho Tue 16-Dec-14 20:10:04

Ugh <shudder> thanks, though. Needed reminding of the tip of the iceberg thing.

1st of month good tip also.

Ugh. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

ShadowsShadowsEverywhere Thu 18-Dec-14 21:20:52

I have a pet healthcare plan with the vets so get a phone call to remind me to pick up flea and worming tablets when they are due and there's no charge as it's included in the plan. Would something like that be an option? They will actually do the treatments for you for no extra fee I think if you use the tablet defleaing treatments and your cats won't be fooled by hiding it in food.

HowsTheSerenity Fri 19-Dec-14 02:54:21

Cats go wherever they choose. Really, who I am to tell the cats what they can and can't do.
Cats get advantage (like frontline but an all wormer as well) every month.
Never had a flea.

issynoho Fri 19-Dec-14 20:32:48

Good idea, Shadows especially after the £££s I've just shelled out for flea stuff. Could be cheaper monthly.

I have hoovered, sprayed, hoovered and will Hoover again tomorrow. Fingers crossed but I've not seen another flea.

ghostyslovesheep Fri 19-Dec-14 21:31:36

yep all 4 of mine are on a plan - I use Advocate monthly on them - 2 are older and don't go out much and the kits don't go out at all (too scared the wussy pussies)

They go wherever they want - but not on my bed as I hate being woken up in the night

ghostyslovesheep Fri 19-Dec-14 21:32:43

my plan is £45 a month for the 4 but includes all jabs, flea treatment and 2 vet visits and one nurse check a year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now