Talk

Advanced search

My poor cat has to have all his teeth out tomorrow- No litter tray for tonight

(19 Posts)
orangefusion Mon 15-Dec-14 22:29:10

My poor cat has to have all his teeth out tomorrow, he has terrible gum disease and is now on a fast until tomorrow when he has surgery.

We have two cats and I have to keep them both in tonight so that the one that is fasting does not go out and find food. I did not think to get a litter tray today for them- what can I make do with for tonight just in case? I will go and get one tomorrow when I drop him off but I am worried about tonight.

I thought I might lock them in the kitchen where the floor can be washed easily but if anyone has any ideas for a temporary fix I would be v grateful.

RaisingSteam Mon 15-Dec-14 22:30:07

Pile of newspaper?

orangefusion Mon 15-Dec-14 22:31:13

Newspaper down now- thanks for that one.

MerryJeffingChristmas Mon 15-Dec-14 22:32:45

CPL here use shredded newspaper - could that be an option? Maybe on an old tray or baking sheet that could be binned after.

MerryJeffingChristmas Mon 15-Dec-14 22:33:18

X-post. Hope operation goes ok.

orangefusion Mon 15-Dec-14 22:43:25

Thanks Merry and raising. I am feeling sad for him, he is otherwise a very healthy cat but not having teeth is bound to affect him- I hope he can eat properly aftewards- the vet says they only swallow food anyway and so not to worry, but I am worried sad

CPL?

orangefusion Mon 15-Dec-14 22:44:51

Ah, Cats Protection League? Doh!

Woodenheart Mon 15-Dec-14 22:48:13

Try not to worry, my DCat had her teeth out and she was so much happier, to eat pain free, she used to start eating her food then run away from the bowl as it hurt so much.

I realised it was her teeth as she was also dribbling a lot, they took most of them out and she put on weight.

orangefusion Mon 15-Dec-14 22:50:51

That's interesting wooden, the other cat starts to eat and stops but the one with the bad teeth wolfs down his food and then gets sick. I have not taken the other to the vet recently, maybe I should <goes pale at the idea of more vets bills of £400 and counting>.

WhatWouldFlopDo Mon 15-Dec-14 22:56:26

Soil? If there's any dry stuff anywhere. You would get muddy footprints though.

Ask the vet to trim his nails too. When one of mine had all her teeth out she got food stuck in one of the holes in her mouth and tried to dig it out with a claw. The claw got stuck in the hole and it was horrendous.

orangefusion Mon 15-Dec-14 23:04:30

Ew stuck food- that sounds gross. I am not sure about trimming claws though- the two cats fight daily- in a brotherly, always been together sort of way and I would hate for him to have neither tooth nor nail to defend himself.

The sound of them charging around the house after each other never fails to make me smile- they are still like kittens at 10 years old- still playing and chasing.

stareatthetvscreen Mon 15-Dec-14 23:06:37

yep yr cat shd be fine xx mine has had this done - no probs smile

WhatWouldFlopDo Mon 15-Dec-14 23:08:10

I know what you mean, I'll just never forget the screaming as she was trying to get her claw out of her gum sad
Take the other for a manicure too grin

JavelinArse Mon 15-Dec-14 23:09:02

No suggestions but I just wanted to say I hope all goes well with your cat tomorrow. My lovely old boy had to have most of his teeth pulled last year due to really bad gum disease (he now has about 3 left I think?), I was worried about the aftermath but he has been fine. He eats wet food in gravy and is definitely happier than before the op when he was clearly in a lot of pain.

Best of luck smile

orangefusion Tue 16-Dec-14 09:31:42

Well, locking them in did not work! I came down this morning to a broken cat flap, oh well, it was very grubby and time for a new one- another £35 to add to the ever mounting cost of dental work. I had pet insurance for 10 years for the two cats- never claimed on it- guess what is excluded?

It's a good job I love them smile

BloominNora Tue 16-Dec-14 09:37:46

Oneof my old cats had to have most of his teeth out due to gingivitis. The vet just left two in the front to help keep his tongue in. A word of warning though, with my boy it didn't cure the gingivitis, he ended up on a long course of steroids as well. The vet thought it may have been auto-immune but the steroids seemed to get it under control after about three months.

He never had any problems eating although definitely preferred wet food and it was very cute when his little tongue used to stick out the side with no teeth.

Woodenheart Tue 16-Dec-14 20:26:11

How is he OP

orangefusion Wed 17-Dec-14 09:03:07

He is fine, in fact he was like a little kitten last night. He was rolling around the floor, chirping and rubbing all over me and dp purring all the time.
Vet says to keep him in till Friday but they are both going crazy and the new locked car flap will break if if I keep them in any longer. I've put a litter tray put but neither of them have used it.
He's eating fine, running around and seems full of beans. I'm going to let him out, they are crossing their little furry legs poor things.

Woodenheart Wed 17-Dec-14 23:43:46

Do you think the other cat has similar? Might be worth getting checked, as it could be like mine was, with the leaving food,

Im so glad he's ok, great news OP, bless him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now