Talk

Advanced search

Why do cats eat grass & throw up?

(16 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 11-Dec-14 08:03:45

It's annoying & seems pointless

cozietoesie Thu 11-Dec-14 08:33:36

If I recall, grass is a natural emetic so cats do it in order to rid their stomachs (via the vomiting) of possible nasties which might interfere with bodily functioning. Fur balls are just one example.

KatyMac Thu 11-Dec-14 15:17:02

Stupid cat!

No furballs - but he does it every morning

cozietoesie Thu 11-Dec-14 19:27:34

I've yet to work out why they usually do it on the most expensive/difficult to clean rug in the house though.

Every morning since you've had him?

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 11-Dec-14 19:58:14

Our cat eats grass most mornings in the summer, I assume he does it in the winter too.

KatyMac Thu 11-Dec-14 20:59:21

Most mornings

Either Aloe Vera the frondy thing in the bathroom or grass - he prefers grass

He's on a stupidly expensive diet but likes chicken ella's kitchen but the lamb one gave him a tummy upset

InvaderZim Fri 12-Dec-14 10:02:30

My cat eats grass and throws up often. We have her on special kitty-IBS food which seems to help stop it, but she still eats other indigestible things which she then throws up. :P

RubbishMantra Fri 12-Dec-14 10:35:40

MCat eats lots of grass, but he rarely throws up, he just seems to enjoy his cat salad. I now grow it in a pot for him. Before that, I would pick him bunches of grass from the churchyard opposite our house. blush

You do know that aloe vera is poisonous to cats don't you?

KatyMac Fri 12-Dec-14 10:42:19

Yes - I moved it stupid cat

cozietoesie Fri 12-Dec-14 10:47:51

I know he came from a rescue and you would expect them to do such things but just to check - is he all up to date with worming, fleaing etc?

eddiemairswife Fri 12-Dec-14 10:57:32

I just wonder why, when they've gone outside to eat the grass, they feel the need to come inside to be sick.

cozietoesie Fri 12-Dec-14 11:01:13

And on a difficult-to-clean place as well!

(I can only guess that if they feel the need to vomit, they prefer to do it in a safe place.)

RubbishMantra Fri 12-Dec-14 11:26:35

So they can laugh at us clearing it up. grin

cozietoesie Fri 12-Dec-14 11:36:54

There's likely some truth in that.

Cedar03 Fri 12-Dec-14 18:04:17

Our cat used to spread it around as well - so she wasn't just sick in one place but in various spots all over the floor. If the cat is doing it every day I'd want to check it out with a vet.

DontCallMeBaby Fri 12-Dec-14 18:54:10

Both my cats eat grass, one throws up and the other doesn't.

Highlights include: on the kitchen floor, having stuffed himself, taken two steps backwards and thrown up; in DD's knitting; in DD's shoes; in DD's cello case.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: