Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

advice needed about stray cat

(21 Posts)
Gatekeeper Wed 10-Dec-14 09:31:36

I posted on here a few weeks ago about a stray cat that was pregnant; she reappeared recently minus kittens and no sign on them anywhere. She is very friendly and lives most of the time on the mat outside our back door and we have made a bed for her in the wood store out of an old polystyrene box .

She is very vocal and purrs loudly when she sees me and according to neighbours belonged to an old lady further along who died about a year ago so she has been living rough since then

I checked her for fleas and flea dirt yesterday- nothing at all but I was concerned to feel her body covered in hard, crusty lumps, some of them are quite large , about the size of a two penny piece and are scabby and bleeding. The fur has fallen out on these patches. Her ears are also bloody and scabby

She eats very well but seems in very poor condition. We are unable to take her in as dh has a severe cat allergy and ds has asthma , nor do we have much spare money to pay for what might be large vets bills etc.

Spoken to Cats protection league and they say they can pay for her to be spayed if I take her to a particular vet (impossible as I don't drive, would need three buses to get to it and I can't imagine bus driver happy with me lugging a bloody great big trap on the bus). They won't take her even though I offered petrol money

Not sure what to do now; can anyone advise please?

shaska Wed 10-Dec-14 10:50:09

Whereabouts are you?

Would it be an option for you to feed her and look after her but for her to live outside so as not to upset DH's allergies? If so, then we just need to find a way to get her to the vet and back!

If not then it sounds like she might be better going to a rescue where they can get her treated and spayed and then try to find her a home. Depending where you are I'm sure people can offer advice about rescues to speak to - if you're in east or south London I'd recommend Celia Hammond, they're lovely.

cozietoesie Wed 10-Dec-14 10:55:44

I see that you live fairly remotely. Do you have any friends or neighbours etc that could help with transport as a festive good deed, though?

Gatekeeper Wed 10-Dec-14 13:18:30

I'm in Co. Durham; Cozie, the Cats Protection League said i needed to ask a neighbour but I can't imagine any of them being impressed when i ask them to take time off work to take us through to vet and then, take more time off to collect us again. People near by are either elderly and don't drive or work away/long hours etc

No problem with feeding her etc as we have been feeding another stray for the last two years; she has been spayed and lives comfortably in our insulated summer house, complete with cat flap and choice of four beds smile. I am concerned though that cat 2 has an infectious skin disease that she will pass on to cat 1 and she must be in some discomfort sad

Would RSPCA collect cat 2 and treat her/spay/rehome her or will they euthanise her? Cat 2 is desperate for a home and she sits frantic at the back door and tries to get in everytime the door is open; I would love for her to go to a loving home because even though she is a funny looking scabby thing, she is so sweet and affectionate

fenneltea Wed 10-Dec-14 15:35:35

There are a few rescues based in Co.Durham that may be able to help, Aristocats, NASSL, might be worth a try. There is also an animal ambulance available in Peterlee, but I've no idea of any costs, but perhaps one of the charities may be able to help with that. Sadberge kennels and cattery take in strays and may be worth trying?

Whereabouts are you based in Co Durham - I'm N. Yorks/Co. Durham and could possibly borrow a car once christmas is out of the way.

fenneltea Wed 10-Dec-14 15:38:07

Just to add that the scabs could possibly be a food allergy - I have a rescue cat that had been eating bird seed to survive and she develops the same sores if there is cereal or a food in gravy rather than jelly.

Gatekeeper Thu 11-Dec-14 16:33:16

Hi Fenneltea; thank you for your very kind offer smile. I have contacted a few places and RSPCA emailed back saying they couldn't help

I have decided to try and take her to a more local vet- only one bus ride and a walk. Have borrowed a cat box thing and will aim for a day next week. They charge £29 for a health check and we'll take it from there

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 11-Dec-14 18:51:27

You are kind to help her. Poor things had her life turned upside down.

Corygal Thu 11-Dec-14 21:57:21

What a fantastic person you are. I am almost tearful at your kindness. Good luck and tell us what happens.

fenneltea Fri 12-Dec-14 08:40:33

That's good that you've found a more local vet, my offer still stands if you need it though, my husband has the car during the week but I can borrow my parents or daughters car if needs be. Perhaps the vet will be able to suggest somewhere to try to rehome her too?

I hope all goes well, I will keep my eyes and ears open for any suitable homes, she sounds like she deserves it bless her, and well done to you for helping her. smile

fenneltea Fri 12-Dec-14 13:35:38

Hi Gatekeeper, have messaged you with a possible solution about the cat. smile

Gatekeeper Tue 16-Dec-14 11:35:37

A lovely ending (or happy new beginnings) to this story

Fenneltea's mum very kindly offered a loving home to Figgy and they have just been to collect her. She is going straight to the vet where her itchy patches will be looked at at treated and then probably to snooze on a cushion

Thank you so much , both of you; rang my husband to let him know and I had another little weep but know that she is in good hands. Off for a cuppa now in my lovely new cup (thank you)- may put a slosh of brandy in it smile

JubJubBirds Tue 16-Dec-14 12:46:38

That's so lovely. Thanks for posting an update.
flowers to you and Fen

RubbishMantra Tue 16-Dec-14 13:10:34

Sometimes I am taken aback at how lovely people can be sometimes. smile

thecatneuterer Tue 16-Dec-14 13:14:26

I'm so very happy to hear that.

MehsMum Tue 16-Dec-14 13:30:00

Aw, lovely! Made me quite emotional! Well done to all of you!

fenneltea Tue 16-Dec-14 20:34:39

Aw, thankyou for that post gatekeeper. Just to add that Figgy had obviously been well looked after as her weight was perfect and the vet said she was in good condition generally. Her itchy patches were dermatitits where she'd over groomed herself, so she's had an injection for that along with the usual worming/flea spot ons. She's booked in for neutering, vaccinations and microchipping in a couple of weeks. smile

When she arrived home after a bit of exploring she found a cosy spot, had some food and then a good sleep! I've just had a phone call from the new excited cat parents to say that she's used her litter tray and come for a stroke. grin My parents are both elderly and are absolutely besotted with her already, she will be spoiled rotten for the rest of her life I think! I can't thank gatekeeper enough for allowing us to care for her, I know it was a huge wrench to part with her.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 16-Dec-14 21:41:18

This is such a lovely update, well done to both of you for helping her.

timtam23 Tue 16-Dec-14 21:57:46

What a lovely happy ending, thanks for the updates Gatekeeper and fenneltea

Gatekeeper Wed 17-Dec-14 09:52:00

Cats definitely have a special communication system; looked out of the window last night as the security light at the back had come on and there is a little black cat sitting next to the food bowl, looking up at me grin

ZaraW Thu 18-Dec-14 17:30:22

That is a really lovely story, it's made my week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now