Talk

Advanced search

Gah! My cat has weed somewhere in my bedroom

(13 Posts)
basildonbond Tue 09-Dec-14 10:15:18

and I don't know exactly where angry

In mitigation he's v cross at the moment as he's still on house arrest post-surgery but still!! He's got three, yes THREE, cat trays which he can use so I know it's a protest wee

He must think I'm very stupid as I just don't understand he wants to go out confused

Any tips for tracking down the source of the smell or is it just a case of clearing everything out of the way and sniffing ... Then thorough cleaning with simple solution?

SunnyBaudelaire Tue 09-Dec-14 10:17:35

haha sorry but I read that as 'the cat has weed in my bedroom' as that perhaps the cat had stashed some marijuana.
lol.

cozietoesie Tue 09-Dec-14 11:21:55

You can buy black light thingies which should show it up, basildon - other posters may be able to comment on how good they are.

How is the lad doing? Is he to get out of the house sometime soon?

(Check the skirting boards/low level on the walls - if it's a protest wee, the odds are that he'll have done it as a semi-spray. It won't smell so much since he was neutered but you might be able to see a slight stickiness/shine which would give the game away.)

LittleRedRidingHoodie Tue 09-Dec-14 11:23:08

Get a dog - he will sniff it out!

cozietoesie Tue 09-Dec-14 11:26:55

Here's the sort of thing I was talking about. You may be able to buy them more cheaply or locally though.

basildonbond Tue 09-Dec-14 12:42:03

Thanks cozie 40+ years of living with cats and I had no idea such things existed! Will give one a try ...

Physically he's fine - he had another check-up last week and the vet is really pleased with his progress - pins and plate are all in place and everything's healing well. But he's got another 2 and a bit weeks on house arrest and he's going a bit loopy confused (hence the weeing). He still needs to build up some muscle before going outside so we're getting him to chase foil balls up and down the stairs and he's got a big catnip cigar that he attacks with his back legs but the outside is calling him and he's calling back - very loudly (especially when I'm on a conference call hmm). He's also attacked Daisy a couple of times so all interaction is having to be closely supervised which is a pain. I'm hoping once he gets outside he'll feel less inclined to take his frustration out on her...

basildonbond Tue 09-Dec-14 12:43:50

little we have a dog - he's useless at smelling things out unless it's a banana skin ...

And grin sunny - weed would smell a lot better ...,

cozietoesie Tue 09-Dec-14 12:56:29

Poor lad - he's never been confined before has he?

I suspect that once he gets out, with his short coat and all, he'll be less keen, especially if you can manage a big fire/radiator and nice nosh.

He's been on house arrest for so long that his memory of outside will likely still be of fun and games in fairly nice weather and the warmer inside will have misled him into not realising that winter is coming on apace and that outside is mostly boring, cold and wet. It's just getting that home to him without damage to his still-healing bits that's the difficulty.

Has the vet given you any leeway at all? It might be worth having a chat with them - if he gets really antsy, it might almost be better to let him outside (supervised by a person with full cold weather gear) and get it over with than having him injuring himself by bouncing off the walls inside.

How was he last winter? A homeboy?

basildonbond Tue 09-Dec-14 20:47:22

to be honest, he spent most of last winter curled up on the beanbag next to the radiator in ds2's room (in the loft so warmest place in the house ...) so I think a lot of his distress is caused by the idea of being outside and once he can go out he'll not be so keen ... especially as his fur still hasn't grown back properly (not that it's very long or thick in the first place!)

the vet was very strict about sticking to the house rest rules as he doesn't want him jumping down from a fence in a hurry and jarring everything ..

cozietoesie Tue 09-Dec-14 20:52:25

That's what I vaguely remembered. (The fire-hugging.) He'll just be getting a 'thing' about it.

Best of luck for the next two weeks. At least he can't swear at you - or not in any language you'd understand!

cozietoesie Tue 09-Dec-14 20:55:37

Just a thought - would you get a revolt from the family if you turned the heating off for a day or so? (To give Shuri the message that winter is here.)

basildonbond Wed 10-Dec-14 09:26:41

I don't think turning off the heating would go down well shock

I might try his harness and take him out for a potter on the lead just to show him he's really not missing much

We got the report from the bet this morning and he stressed again the importance of strict house rest ...

cozietoesie Wed 10-Dec-14 09:48:35

Something like a harness to allow him out might be a good idea - trying to choose a moment when the rain and sleet are going horizontally would be ideal - if he'll wear one.

I rather feared what the reaction to turning off the heating might be. It's only that I had my boiler out of commission for a couple of days last week (hairline crack in the something-or-other which had to be replaced) and Seniorboy headed straight to his bed/electric blanket and wasn't to be seen for the whole time. I just thought that a dose of cold (with a warm spot to retreat to) might cool Shuri's ardour somewhat?

Not surprised really that the vet is being adamant. This is a dangerous time for the lad where he's feeling fine(ish) but his wounds are still a bit fragile. Thank Goodness it's not late Spring with good weather, smells and sounds from outside wafting in to him. He'd really be in a state then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now