Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Whatever made me do this?!

(11 Posts)
PinkSparklyElephant Mon 08-Dec-14 10:16:29

I've contacted Cats Protection about a cat! It's only a vague query as they say he doesn't get on with other cats and, even if that's wrong, I have no idea how the logistics would work trying to introduce another cat in a one bedroom flat.

I haven't mentioned it to DH either and I'm sure he's going to kill me if he finds out! The problem I have is there's something about this particular cat - he was suggested for my Mum but we hadn't seen him and for various reasons he wasn't suitable. Now I've seen him and I can't get him out of my mind...

cozietoesie Mon 08-Dec-14 10:18:26

How many animals have you got at the moment?

PinkSparklyElephant Mon 08-Dec-14 10:20:39

Just the one - Lord Harry. I don't know how he would take to another cat in his home. All are welcome in the garden (he doesn't chase any off) but I don't want him feeling pushed out.

cozietoesie Mon 08-Dec-14 10:27:46

It doesn't sound like the best idea to me, Pink. You only have a one bedroom flat and you're thinking about introducing a cat who 'doesn't get on with other cats' to Lord Harry who is an unknown quantity?

I'd walk on by, myself.

PinkSparklyElephant Mon 08-Dec-14 10:31:15

I know and thank you for making me see sense!

I'd be happy for the new cat to have our bedroom as his bolt hole but I know I have to think of Harry - it's his home and I'd hate to upset him. I was just hoping they would say that it's a mistake and Smudge is actually ok with cats!

I'm destined to remain a frustrated mad cat lady aren't I?!

PinkSparklyElephant Mon 08-Dec-14 10:57:47

I spoke to DH (I was a bit selective with the truth and didn't tell him I'd already enquired blush) and he's told me no way are we having another cat! The only way he will consider it while we've got Harry (and a very small house) is if something happened to my Mum and we had to try to take on George.

At least that solves my current dilemma!

cozietoesie Mon 08-Dec-14 11:09:45

And your Mum/George are certainly a consideration.

Sometimes a cat grabs your heart for whatever reason but you need to be certain that taking them in will make them and the household happy.

PinkSparklyElephant Mon 08-Dec-14 11:22:44

I know what you mean, it wouldn't be fair on either of them. If we didn't have his lordship (who is currently precariously balanced on the 6' fence with DH ready to rescue him!) it would be different. I think a lot of it is guilt as it was me who said he wouldn't really be suitable for Mum and I'm feeling as though I denied him the chance of a home.

He's had the same effect on me as Harry did when I first saw him online but I need to be realistic.

cozietoesie Mon 08-Dec-14 12:46:47

You could always offer to make a contribution to his care - if you can afford it? That would make his future a little happier and give you a stake in him until he finds a place to call home.

It's the very devil having to be sensible sometimes, isn't it?

PinkSparklyElephant Mon 08-Dec-14 13:57:18

That's a thought, I'll look into that. I'm glad he's not in a cattery and at least is in foster care at CP.

Looking at it now I think it was because he reminds me of William - he's an old boy and no one wants him. I still feel as though I let down William by not helping him sooner and I know that's not the right reason to adopt another cat.

If I had a bigger house I wouldn't be sensible!

PinkSparklyElephant Mon 08-Dec-14 19:16:20

Dilemma completely solved - Smudge tries to attack other cats every time he's introduced! At least I now know that it would never work with him and Harry and I can stop thinking what if.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now