Talk

Advanced search

My cat died yesterday.

(18 Posts)
PumpkinsMummy Sat 06-Dec-14 17:01:38

My little cat died yesterday. Almost exactly 24 hours ago. He was not even 2 and the most wonderful cuddly tolerant cute ball of ginger fuzz i've ever seen. I loved him so much and I feel totally empty without him.

I think the worst part was finding him. My neighbour came to tell me where he was, and he was lying in a puddle outside her house. I could kind of tell he was already gone but I cuddled him and talked to him and tried to get him to breathe. We took him straight to the vet but he was gone.

I keep walking round the house seeing all the places he should be but isn't, and everything reminds me that just yesterday he was here and now I will never see him again. I don't really know why I'm posting, maybe just to get it out, maybe to see if there is anyone else that feels the way I do about my pets. They are family to me, and so,so precious. I am so desperately sad that he has gone. I don't know what to do with myself, I'm just in a daze crying and trying to carry on as normal.

munchkin2902 Sat 06-Dec-14 17:07:52

I'm so sorry. They are part of the family. You must be so upset. Was he run over do you think?

Remember you gave him a good life and he knew how much you loved him.

PumpkinsMummy Sat 06-Dec-14 17:16:43

Thank you elfo. I think he must have been hit. He was only just on the pavement, DH thinks maybe he was hit and sort of thrown onto it. He didnt have any sort of obvious injury or bleeding. He still looked perfect sad. He did have a lovely life. He was very well loved and always looked very happy. I'm sad for me selfishly, as I miss him so so much. My DS is too young to understand so luckily isn't bothered, and while DH is sad, he is quite stoic about deaths of pets so is sad but not overly so. I hope the vet was right and he died almost instantly and didn't suffer.

munchkin2902 Sat 06-Dec-14 17:24:42

It sounds like he wouldn't have known anything about it. I have two two year old ginger boys of my own so I know exactly what he meant to you. Some cats have horrible lives, he was lucky he was loved and cared for by you.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 06-Dec-14 18:07:20

I am sorry, that's an awful way for it to happen.

yorkielass1 Sat 06-Dec-14 18:19:15

My heart goes out to you. It happened to us when my sons were young. The driver stopped and knocked on our door and was very distressed.
Of course you are sad, cats are a member of the family.
Our last cat (who was 22 when he had to be put down) still makes me tear up when I think about him.
I always post this link for people who have lost a loved pet. I found it comforting.
https://rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm

RubbishMantra Sat 06-Dec-14 18:25:37

How horrible for you, I'm so sorry. Elfo's right, it would have been so sudden that he wouldn't have felt anything.

It's OK to feel sad, you're not being selfish. You form such a strong bond with them don't you, and they all have such unique personalities. Let yourself have a good old cry. thanks

PumpkinsMummy Sat 06-Dec-14 18:32:02

Thanks everyone. It helps knowing people understand, although I'm sorry you had to go through it to.

I think because he was so young I feel robbed. I should have grown old with him, had another 15 years and instead I didn't even have 2. I don't think it has entirely sunk in yet. I keep wanting to go out to where it happened and somehow magic him back.

I have another cat and 2 dogs but he has left such a gaping hole. He was an extraordinary cat who can never be replaced, and yet part of me wants to get another cat just like him and pretend it's him so I can still see his fuzzy, happy little face around the house.

timtam23 Sat 06-Dec-14 22:06:49

So sorry Pumpkin flowers , that's really sad.

He sounds so gorgeous - my old ginger boy died earlier this year and he too was a special cat - I do love ginger boy cats

I agree with Elfo, it would have been so quick, he wouldn't have felt anything.

Notmeagain1 Sun 07-Dec-14 00:09:20

Im so sorry OP. I lost my ginger baby in July and my lovely dog in November. I have been so lost without them. I think my husband is getting me a kitten for christmas and Im excited.

It is ok to grieve and cry for your lost cuddley baby. My heart goes out to you and Im crying as I write this to you as I know how you are feeling. It does get better, but it is so so hard. flowers and rip sweet little one.

PumpkinsMummy Sun 07-Dec-14 08:40:19

thanks so much everyone. It really helps to be able to get it out and know there are virtual shoulders to cry on.

FushandChups Mon 08-Dec-14 23:23:59

Just wanted to add that your comment around expecting to have a lifetime with your gorgeous boy is exactly how I felt when I lost my cat earlier this year - also hit by a car.. she'd turned 3 the week before. I just couldn't get my head round how my gorgeous, full of life, healthy girl was no longer with me and wouldn't be again!

I am so very sorry for your loss thanks

PumpkinsMummy Tue 09-Dec-14 10:47:49

Thank you Fush. I am feeling a little better today. My brain has finally registered the fact that I don't need to keep checking the front garden for him to come back in so that's positive. It's odd as because nothing really has changed in the house, I still think he could just be in a different room or in his little igloo bed when I can't see him. Food time is the worst though, I keep expecting to have to shoo him back or give him a cuddle when his sister comes for hers. Luckily DS has taken it completely in his stride, and as my other pets still have each other and I let them sniff the towel we took him to the vets in they are not showing any signs of being sad (the heartless little shits lol).

bugblatter Sat 13-Dec-14 20:49:53

Had to post, my little cat was run down today, at just over 1 year old. According to the guy who knocked on our door he was overtaken by another car going well over the 30mph speed limit and cataputed her into the sky. She was such a special little cat who loved the outdoors, she would not have been happy inside. I just keep looking for her and thinking I must get her in for the night.

My eldest kid is being so sweet, giving me her teddies to cuddle.

timtam23 Sat 13-Dec-14 22:42:29

So sorry bugblatter flowers

FushandChups Sat 13-Dec-14 23:43:57

Too sad sad It really is the downside of having a kitty who roams but, like yours, mine hated being indoors so I like to think while their time with us was short, they thoroughly enjoyed it thanks

bugblatter Sun 14-Dec-14 21:54:32

Thanks both. Sorry to hijack PumpkinsMummy, you put it so perfectly. I keep looking round for her in the usual spots, checking I am not going to tread on her alsleep in the corner of the stairs (she did like to sleep on anything basically the same colour as her), making sure she is not in the shed etc. She really was a people cat and I am going to miss her coming to great us on the way back from school.

Am going to ring the local vets this week and see if there is a rescue shelter nearby which could make use of her stuff.

fieldfare Sun 14-Dec-14 22:03:39

I'm so sorry. Our lovely old ginger boy died yesterday too. He was 18 and such a chatty cat that I'm missing him chirruping and meowing at me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now