Talk

Advanced search

Second cat dead of heart attack

(7 Posts)
Shirleycantbe Fri 05-Dec-14 12:24:48

My cat died in front of me last week. Minutes before he had been absolutely fine, playing with a toy. He was only 6. The same thing happened to his brother in March though that time we found his body shortly after he died.

The vet says they must have had a genetic heart condition.

I'm trying to keep it in perspective but actually feeling really sad and shocked by it. sad

bakingtins Fri 05-Dec-14 12:29:26

Very sad. I lost one of my cats at 6 to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (the heart muscle is very thickened and the heart can't dilate) and it had no signs until he literally dropped dead, and I'm a vet. If you have any littermates or are still in touch with the breeder then let them know - any siblings/relatives could be screened with an cardiac ultrasound scan. flowers

Shirleycantbe Fri 05-Dec-14 12:31:58

Thank you bakingtins. It's reassuring to know these things do happen. They were rescue cats so no litter mates/breeder.

cozietoesie Fri 05-Dec-14 13:22:01

My own Darling Oneago dropped dead one morning at 8 years old - I didn't have an autopsy done so I assumed it was a heart attack or similarly immediate problem.

It's very hard. He was a couple of years older than your two but still a youngish boy so I know how you feel.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 05-Dec-14 13:24:45

That's so sad sad for you.

But a great death for him, one moment playing and happy - the next gone with no pain.

flowers for you

PumpkinsMummy Sat 06-Dec-14 17:06:38

That's awful. I'm so sorry for your loss. My cat died yesterday, and I'm heartbroken, so I can understand exactly how you feel. I'm having some wine, so wine for you too.

Shirleycantbe Sat 06-Dec-14 20:26:35

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that PumpkinsMummy! It's really hard isn't it? xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now