Talk

Advanced search

Hypoallergenic Diet

(3 Posts)
Yambabe Wed 03-Dec-14 21:06:09

Has anyone put their cat on a hypoallergenic diet, and if so what brand did you use?

I have had young Sid back to the vet today. He now has a formal diagnosis of eosiniphilic granuloma presenting in plaque form, but we have no idea what the trigger(s) may be. He is de-flea'd and wormed regularly, the vet agreed that she can see no sign of either on him. He's has a strong steroid shot today along with an antibiotic to try an stave off infections in the open wounds that he has licked on his shoulders sad and it's looking like he will probably have to go on a long-term course of lower-dose steroid tablets. Sigh.

But in the meantime she has suggested I try him with a hypoallergenic diet. Surprisingly she didn't try to sell me any of their usual products but suggested I do a bit of googling as there was no recommended brand as far as she was concerned.

I've had a look and there are an awful lot of brands out there, most claiming to be miracle foods and some at eye-watering prices! So I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and if so what did you use and how did it go? He is a fussy little bugger btw and doesn't like "wet" catfood so whatever I choose needs to be dry and complete as opposed to complimentary.

All responses welcome............

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 03-Dec-14 23:00:29

Have you had any allergy testing done? The last two cats I had with this were allergic to house dust mites. We got a good improvement with immunotherapy though both wore baby grows till the immunotherapy worked.

Yambabe Wed 03-Dec-14 23:41:23

no, she's not suggested any testing yet. We are going back again next week so I will ask, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now