Talk

Advanced search

7 month old kitten has started weeing in living room - what can I do to stop it?!

(5 Posts)
skyeskyeskye Tue 02-Dec-14 12:13:36

I got the kitten in July and it has been living in the house since then. It has free range of the house, and it has cat flaps to go through from the living room to the kitchen to the porch where its litter tray is.

it came fully trained and I have never had any problems with it. i clean the litter tray regularly.

The cat was neutered a couple of weeks ago and was then let out for the first time a week later. it then caught a respiratory tract infection and has not been allowed out again, until it has its jabs.

On Saturday it wee'd on the carpet in the porch and also on the carpet in front of the tv. I tried to clean both spots to remove the smell. The cat has since wee'd again twice in front of the tv.

What can i do to stop it from weeing in the house? It smells very strong and i really can't have this happening. Why would it have just started doing this after 4 months with no problems?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 02-Dec-14 19:05:07

Could she have a urine infection? She sounds like she's run down.

taxi4ballet Wed 03-Dec-14 11:08:44

Could be territorial scent-marking. Is it male or female?

skyeskyeskye Wed 03-Dec-14 11:30:06

It is male. Last night it was sniffing around the spot where it had wee'd and was trying to dig the carpet over it. There is a strong smell of wee but I can't find where it is. I used 1001 carpet cleaner on the original patches, hoping to disguise the smell so that it didn't go back there, but it didn't work

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 03-Dec-14 14:33:58

Pets at home do a carpet cleaner that's better for removing the smell, or dilute bio washing powder/liquid if your carpets not pure wool. There sense of smell is much better than ours is.

I think eithers he's stressed by all the problems he's had recently or another cats coming round and he's marking his territory so he feels safer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now