Talk

Advanced search

Hungry cats and can't understand why

(7 Posts)
KinkyDoritoWithJingleBellsOn Sat 29-Nov-14 08:34:36

Hi all

My cats are housecats. They eat a renal diet - 2 pouches of renal food a day each. They've eaten this diet for 18 months with no issues.

In the last couple of weeks they both seem much hungrier - pestering for food continually.

I'm worried about over-feeding because one cat is already large. I am happy to be told I might be underfeeding - but given this is how they've eaten for so long without issue, I don't see that this is the problem.

I can't see any changes to the food. They've eaten the same for ages (they are both 7, so not like they have grown). I can't understand this sudden change in behaviour.

It is Royal Canin Renal tuna pouches. I can't give renal biscuits as they make one cat really ill.

Looking for advice.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 29-Nov-14 08:38:44

Is that when you opened a new pack? It could have less nutrition in it this time, it's colder so they're hungrier?

My cat gets exactly the same food - he's 16 and a twat as he only licks the gravy making it dead expensive grin

code Sat 29-Nov-14 08:38:46

have you wormed them recently?

jessabell Sat 29-Nov-14 08:41:29

My cats always eat more in winter. Even though they like to stay inside when colder.

KinkyDoritoWithJingleBellsOn Sat 29-Nov-14 08:44:16

I said that to DH code, but they're indoor cats and have never been outside? They haven't been out of the home in years, except the vet. Would they need worming?

Laurie I'm thinking that could well be it - it's since the new delivery, so a few boxes to go yet. I've been clawed/kissed awake at 5.30 this morning because they want feeding. It is REALLY expensive! We're going through more than 8 packs a month at about £75 then there's the renal pills at £25 a pop. I think, given all this, they should allow me a lie-in grin.

KinkyDoritoWithJingleBellsOn Sat 29-Nov-14 08:45:16

jesse they weren't like this last year though. Really, really pushy! I'm also worried that the big one will just be a tank on legs if I let him have any more! grin

KinkyDoritoWithJingleBellsOn Sat 29-Nov-14 08:45:49

We need to sort this out before I wake up to him chewing my leg...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now