Talk

Advanced search

9 week old kitten & log burner

(6 Posts)
pilates Sat 29-Nov-14 08:33:26

Just a bit worried that she is going to burn herself. We had a near escape yesterday when she was playing.

Anyone out there got some tips to keep her safe?

code Sat 29-Nov-14 08:37:46

get a fireguard like you would for a toddler

cozietoesie Sat 29-Nov-14 08:52:18

I don't know what kind of log burner you have. I've had open fires and cats for many years without incident - but I've always used a fire guard for them and also been extra careful of anything where the cat might not immediately appreciate there's a potential problem such as dying embers in a sea of ash, an apparently 'cold' fire etc etc.

Does your burner operate in such a way/is it of such a shape that the cat might not realize that it's hot in places?

pilates Sat 29-Nov-14 09:01:20

It's enclosed with a door so not sure a fire guard would work.

Worried that she might try and touch the door or try and get under it. We are always there when it's on and wouldn't leave her on own.

cozietoesie Sat 29-Nov-14 09:33:01

I think your issue would be her appreciation of danger. (Which might be lessened if her first few experiences of it were when it wasn't on full.) Can you open the door at all so that she can see the logs burning/feel the blaze of heat ? Cats aren't daft so if she realizes that it's a risky thing, she should stay well clear of it even when it's gone off/going lukewarm.

Otherwise - vigilance until she learns some sense.

pilates Sat 29-Nov-14 16:49:19

Just had a look online and I think I can get a fire guard for it so think I will look into getting one. I've never had a kitten before and it's just like having a baby/toddler, she's into everything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now