Talk

Advanced search

Cat in apartments…lots of questions.

(11 Posts)
TheNewWitchOfSWL Fri 28-Nov-14 14:58:36

Hi,
Thinking about getting a cat but we live in a 2 bedroom apartment.
Before I spend hours researching let me ask here if this can be successfully done? I know some people who keep cats that never go outside. And we have a small secure balcony too.
Which are the most friendly types with kids, who can live without other cats and don't shed too much fur?
Can I put the litter box in the toilet? I have seen this at someone's home.
Also how much per year am I expected to spend on food/insurance/vet?
I had a cat when I was a child living in a massive house so now I am a bit unsure.
TIA.

DrankSangriaInThePark Fri 28-Nov-14 15:07:53

I'm in Italy where almost everyone lives in apartments and Spud, the house moggy is currently sitting on top of me. grin

We keep his litter on the balcony tbh, although in my old apartment I did keep it inside.

I haven't the foggiest what kind of cat Spud is, we got him from the animal shelter people, he's black, and though shorthaired, does lose half of it all over my furniture twice a year. The hoover is your friend.

I reckon they can all live without other cats as long as they have human company, and they're not like dogs who crave attention. I think if it's all they've been used to, if you see what I mean?

My BIL is a vet so tbh, I don't have bills, wink we haven't bothered with vaccinations because a) BIL checked him out b) he's a house cat.

TheNewWitchOfSWL Fri 28-Nov-14 21:17:29

I can't keep the balcony door open at all times so it would have to be a indoor cat litter in the toilet. I am worried about smells...

tacal Sat 29-Nov-14 09:26:09

Hi, I rescued a cat one month ago from the rescue centre. I live in a two bedroom apartment and so far everything is going well. I keep the litter box in the hall outside the bathroom. I want her to have access to it at all times so seemed like the best place. I think it would be fine to keep it in the bathroom as long as it easy for her to get to it.

Not sure about cost. I am spending more than I thought at the moment. I didn't like cheap food so you should look into what type of food you will buy. I buy from zooplus. There are lots of reviews of the food on zooplus and information on here. Insurance is about £6 a month. Vaccinations, flea and worming treatment are costs I had not considered either. So you should look into this too. At the moment my cat is an indoor cat so maybe the flea and worming is not necessary. I need to look into this.

I am really glad I have my cat. No regrets about rescuing her.

juliascurr Sat 29-Nov-14 09:30:58

they need toys to express their hunting instincts if they don't go out otherwise they become frustrated and vicious (voice of experience)

tacal Sun 30-Nov-14 12:56:41

I second the need for toys. My cat can be vicious at times. I think she is hunting me alot of the time! She pounces on me and bites me. She is better since I am playing with her more often and have bought her more toys. Do you have space for an activity centre? I bought an extra large scratching barrel and lots of other toys. I am learning as I go along.

TheNewWitchOfSWL Sun 30-Nov-14 23:35:09

How/Where did you get your cats from?

teenagetantrums Mon 01-Dec-14 07:20:08

I have two in a flat, the cant go on the balcony without supervision as they seem to want to hurl themselves off it, watch your windows we had one fall and a very expensive vet bill, windows now never open wide.
They seem quite happy all in all they are 5 now and we got them as unwanted kittens from an acquaintance, they are brothers and play with each other lots, one loves toys the other doesn't seem to understand them and just watches his brother playing. litter try in the hall it doesn't smell and is cleaned everyday, at least, one of the cats will get the hump if tray is forgotten and will pee on something, I did get another tray after I read on here you should have one for each cat but new tray is just ignored.

Nagasaki Mon 01-Dec-14 07:40:57

We have a house cat in a 2 bed flat. I second having lots of toys for amusement.

The best place to go would be an animal rescue, they will know which cats I there will be most suited to not only your home set up but also your family situation.

I would advise against getting a kitten, their personality won't show whether they'll make good house cats.

I'm currently snuggled up with my 3 year old grey boy cat, who came to me with no top canines and ripped ears. I wouldn't change him for the world smile

Nagasaki Mon 01-Dec-14 07:44:15

Oh and on the litter tray situ. Dry food diet helps (good quality food with high protein content) and decent litter will help no end. We use bio catolet.

It's smelly when they crap but the cover it up very quickly so if they go when you are out, you wouldn't necessarily notice the smell when you come home. Be regular in your checking and scooping.

Good luck! Hope you find a cat that's perfect for you!

tacal Mon 01-Dec-14 20:14:17

I got my cat from the local rescue centre a month ago. They told me she has always been an indoor cat, she has never been outside. I saw her on their website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now