Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone else being mad enough to attempt to toilet train their cat?

(20 Posts)
3littlewomen Tue 25-Nov-14 17:02:51

Hi,

we have a 2 year old Maine Coone, litter trained indoor cat and whilst browsing the cat toys/accessories in our local pet shop we happened upon a kit to train your cat how to use the toilet!

Have now ordered a similar kit (1/4 of the price) from ebay and plan to give it to the cat for Christmas!

So.... has anyone ever successfully done this? Am I certifiably mad?

cozietoesie Tue 25-Nov-14 19:22:44

Completely bananas.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - is my motto.

chockbic Tue 25-Nov-14 19:26:50

Lol hope there won't be a queue for the loo grin

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 25-Nov-14 19:30:24

I wanted to but dh was against it.

Do it, if it works you don't have to buy litter again.

RubbishMantra Tue 25-Nov-14 19:54:41

Not inclined to do it myself, but there's an excellent blog about it here.

Evenstar Tue 25-Nov-14 20:02:20

I met someone the other week whose female cat had trained herself to wee in the toilet, the only trouble is that there is only one toilet in the house and the cat queues outside the bathroom in the morning and paws the door whilst whoever is first up uses the toilet and then rushes in for a wee!

FelixTitling Tue 25-Nov-14 20:06:39

I had a cat that would poo in an empty plant pot. I had her from a kitten and never attempted to teach her this, she just did it herself. I never figured out how to transfer her skills to the toilet though.

I had another cat who used to drink out of the toilet, so I guess I would have needed to teach the first cat to flush as well.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 25-Nov-14 20:06:59

Haven't they heard of saniflo? Poor cat having to wait her turn. It's virtually cat cruelty.

RubbishMantra Tue 25-Nov-14 20:26:38

MKitten always accompanies me to the loo, so he can stand on his back legs to watch the toilet flush. He finds it fascinating.

3littlewomen Tue 25-Nov-14 21:34:36

Rubbish, MrArnold accompanies me to the toilet most times, watches closely and has a good peer in for the flush!

Love the idea of no more litter - bit anticipate the crus of the kids when the cat is taking it's time on the loo and they are hopping to go!!

Gonna give it a go! An interesting and unique Christmas pressie!

cozietoesie Tue 25-Nov-14 21:41:18

< promises not to say 'I told you so' in 5 weeks time >

shaska Tue 25-Nov-14 22:27:17

I know someone who devoted a lot of time and energy to this.

It worked, BUT because it's a cat, and because it's a toilet, 'misses' happen not irregularly.

What he told me was to consider this question: 'would I trade cleaning litter for a toilet trained cat where one poo and one wee in every 10/20 or so needs cleaning up from beside, near, or on the seat of, the toilet'.

RubbishMantra Tue 25-Nov-14 22:29:56

Did you check out the blog I linked to 3little? She had a certain degree of success, to a point. grin

HaveTeaWillSurvive Tue 25-Nov-14 22:41:03

I tried this with our two, one was taking to it no problem but the other one, who was still really a kitten, got freaked out and peed in the corner instead. I ended up buying a supplementary kit as the leap from level one was too much, however I ran out of patience and gave up.

Good luck!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 25-Nov-14 22:45:43

It'd be nice not to tread on cat litter every morning.

DixieNormas Tue 25-Nov-14 22:49:28

I had a cat that liked to shit in the bath

RubbishMantra Wed 26-Nov-14 01:54:56

Crikey, life without cat-litter in between the toes.

<hopeful dreams>

sashh Wed 26-Nov-14 07:06:06

Necer tried it but I had a cat who trained herself

3littlewomen Wed 26-Nov-14 13:57:09

Had a look at the blog Rubbish, it gives one a small bit of hope!

I hate, despise litter - and as i am pregnant at the moment I also hate being dependent on DH to clean it out. I hate the way cat litter gets trod around the bathroom by the cat/kids, the smell and the fact the cat still misses his aim 5-10% of the time.

Am going to wholeheartedly give it a go - and cozietoes, you are welcome to say you told me so!!

fenneltea Thu 27-Nov-14 15:53:43

You might be interested in watching this vid for reasons not to toilet train:- jacksongalaxy.com/2012/01/18/the-politics-of-litter/ Looks like it may potentially cause more issues than it solves!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now