Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to go to vet for worming and flea medications.

(10 Posts)
WalkingThePlank Mon 24-Nov-14 17:48:32

Have taken cat to vet for first time. The flea and worming medication came to £36.63 - that was 3 x Advocate pipettes and 1 Milbemax tablet. Is this too much and if so can I just order it from the internet and not buy from the vet?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 24-Nov-14 19:28:15

If they write a private prescription, £8ish, you can order it online if you send the prescription to them.

Much cheaper and cashback from topcashback with some retailers.

thecatneuterer Mon 24-Nov-14 19:42:36

You can buy Drontal wormers and Advantage flea stuff from chemists and Pets at Home and off the internet. Don't buy anything 'off the shelf' though (in Pets at Home for example you need to get a specially authorised member of staff to sell you the proper stuff) as off the shelf products are at best useless and at worst dangerous.

Fuzzymum1 Mon 24-Nov-14 22:44:16

You can buy advantage or frontline for fleas and droncit spot on for worms from vetuk.co.uk without the need for a prescription - it's so much cheaper than direct from the vet.

beachyhead Mon 24-Nov-14 22:50:13

It's recently changed so you don't need a prescription anymore. I get all my animal stuff from viovet...

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Mon 24-Nov-14 22:57:04

My vet would have charged £12 for a prescription for 6 doses of Advocate, which made a big hole in the online discount, but we agreed to split the difference & they now provide it direct with 50% of the online discount.

Beachyhead, vet prescriptions are still needed for some products (like advocate & stronghold)

crapcrapcrapcrap Mon 24-Nov-14 23:05:38

Fuzzy, Droncit only treats tapeworms, not roundworms. Just one of the many reasons I'm dubious about online medicines - I bet these websites aren't giving any advice whatsoever about appropriate parasite control.

beachyhead Tue 25-Nov-14 21:46:08

I get the same medicines I got from the vet. I use Practic and Drontal for worms.

Moln Sat 29-Nov-14 10:08:56

Reading this with interest as I've no idea about this

How often do you need to treat?

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 29-Nov-14 10:39:04

Neither Practic nor Drontal are prescription medicines hence no need for a prescription.
Advocate, Milbemax, Activyl and Broadline are all prescription only medicine hence the need for a prescription.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now