Talk

Advanced search

Cat flap recommendations?

(11 Posts)
Rizzlekicks Mon 24-Nov-14 15:04:29

We need a cat flap for two cats to get out of. From neighbours who have catflaps, I know that there are many cats who pop into their house uninvited. What is the best type to get? Microchip or magnet? We need something decent that does what it says. Any recommendations? Thanks

FushandChups Mon 24-Nov-14 17:10:58

I don't have one(I rent so just went with a bog standard one) but if it was my house, microchip every time... don't have to worry about collars or magnets being lost and only your two will get in!

cozietoesie Mon 24-Nov-14 17:19:58

A microchip flap sounds best for you. Sureflap is the one used by most posters here I think, and nearly all have had great success with it. They're not cheap, though (about £60 - £70) so be sure to shop around eg on the net to get the best deal.

I understand that Sureflap's customer service is excellent by the way - in the unlikely event that someting goes wrong with it.

Madcats Mon 24-Nov-14 20:12:03

6 years ago we fitted a Petporte into our kitchen extension wall when we rebuilt. About a year ago the transformer failed, but the new owners of Petporte (might now be Staywell) were kind enough to send us a new transformer to try for free (it did the trick).

Prior to that we'd be woken up in the early hours by the noise of almighty standoffs and have to chase furry intruders out of the house.
It took us about a week to get them used to walking through a fat wall versus replacement panel in glass door.

Our cats HATED collars. They were forever trying to injure themselves getting them off.

There are several fancy programmes like "Vet mode" but we tend to block the cat flap with physical stuff if we want to keep the lads outdoors/inside.

umiaisha Tue 25-Nov-14 14:29:33

We have a sureflap and would highly recommend it. We went for the pet door version though as we have quite a chunky BSH.

Archfarchnad Tue 25-Nov-14 15:57:12

We've got a Sureflap and I'd definitely recommend a microchip activated one. I think the Petporte one needs a power supply close by, while the Sureflap works on batteries.

The only potential issue with the Sureflap is that a few overly-clever cats manage to overcome the locking mechanism (by hooking claws behind the door and pulling it towards them), meaning that strange cats can get in and your own cat can get out when the lock is on. If that happens the Sureflap people will adapt the flap free of charge, but you obviously have to de-install it first and send it back.

Archcat is currently 6.4 kilos and just about gets his massive bum through the smaller Sureflap. So from 7 kilos onwards it would be wise to buy the larger version umiaisha mentioned.

ClaudiaNaughton Tue 25-Nov-14 16:03:22

Another ten out of ten for Sureflap which works with microchip.

givemushypeasachance Tue 25-Nov-14 16:42:18

I recently got an adapted Sureflap since one of my boys can open regular flaps set to entry-only by pulling them inwards, and it's brilliant - haven't had any trouble since, both cats adapted to using it straight away and although I never saw any intruders it's nice to know they can both be secure in the house without other neighbourhood cats invading their territory.

Pipbin Sat 29-Nov-14 20:39:31

We have a Sureflap pet door which has a curfew timer. We like to keep our cat in at night and this is a great help. Not cheap at £100 but worth the money.
Also having the microchip thing means that the nasty local Tom can't chase her in anymore.

RandomMess Sat 29-Nov-14 20:42:15

I found Zooplus inexpensive, we've gone for the microchip one too!

Clure Sun 30-Nov-14 20:29:07

Has anybody got experience or advice about getting one fitted into a sliding patio door? thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now