Talk

Advanced search

What is the a good age to take a male kitten for the snip and chip?

(11 Posts)
asianqueen Sun 23-Nov-14 12:13:27

He's coming up to eight weeks and I would like to get him done ASAP as he's trying escape in to the big bad whole grin

asianqueen Sun 23-Nov-14 12:13:58

It should be world!!!

thecatneuterer Sun 23-Nov-14 12:36:30

We recommend doing it at four months.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 23-Nov-14 12:51:18

From four months, but size is also important in a non-rescue situation.

asianqueen Sun 23-Nov-14 12:55:36

Thank you for the replies, that means that I'll have to try and keep him in until the end of January! Happy days!! He's already climbing the curtains and dive bombing me from the top of the wardrobe! grin

You can chip earlier.. mine were done at 12 weeks, then snipped at 17.
He's wayyyyy too young to go outside for a long while yet anyway.. Mine are just coming up 6 months and are just being let out (it's terrifying) for short periods.
Get lots of toys in and wear him out grin
(I can thoroughly recommend the 'Flying Frenzy' toy btw.. www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Frenzy-Interactive-Feather-Cat/dp/B005VUDFJ2 it drives my kittens wild!

RubbishMantra Sun 23-Nov-14 17:37:01

I had mine done at 5 months, but he's a very tiny breed. The vet wanted to ensure he weighed over 2 kilos.

Another vote for the Flying Frenzy for tiring him out. MKitten also likes playing fetch up and down the stairs with his squeaky mice.

chockbic Sun 23-Nov-14 17:39:20

Scissorclaws was done at four months old. He went out a couple of weeks later.

RubbishMantra Sun 23-Nov-14 17:50:22

grin at Scissorclaws! Have you posted any photos of him? I can picture him running amok around your house, swiping at stuff, leaving a trail of destruction in his wake!

chockbic Sun 23-Nov-14 19:35:06

He does enjoy doing a circuit. Or twelve.

Currently asleep with prawn belly smile

isseywithcats Mon 24-Nov-14 15:29:47

the kittens at our rescue are neutered at 1kg in wheight and around 11 to 12 weeks old

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now