Talk

Advanced search

Cat has burnt the pad of his paw on cooker hob

(7 Posts)
ChrissCrossCrunch Fri 21-Nov-14 14:32:32

This happened a week ago and he is still holding his paw up as he hops along, but its not stopping him jumping around, going outside etc. He's not in obvious pain. I've noticed him cleaning the pad occasionally and have got a glimpse of it and there's no obvious injury - presume it was a very quick touch on the hot hob before he jumped off.

He's a rescue cat with lots of issues and and is totally terrified of vets - had to be put in a crush cage to have his vacinations, so I don't want to put him through that ordeal if I can avoid it. He doesn't allow me to pick him up and he doesn't lie on my lap or anything like that, so no opportunity to examine him more thoroughly.

Is there anything I can do to help him?

TongueBiter Fri 21-Nov-14 14:36:40

This happened to my kitten too - I took him to vet but they said it was healing ok on its own. It will be sore for a few days but unless it looks infected or not using it after 2-3 days, it will prob be ok.

Could you get aloe Vera gel on it?

TongueBiter Fri 21-Nov-14 14:37:53

Sorry, just re-read it was a week ago!

Might be worth a phone call to the vet?

chockbic Fri 21-Nov-14 14:39:04

You'd have thought it should be healing by now.

So yes a call to your vet.

Be careful putting stuff on it in case its poisonous to the cat.

Archfarchnad Fri 21-Nov-14 14:42:22

I think at this point you should at least phone the vet and ask them if there are any options without actually dragging him in, but presumably they would just advise you to bring him anyway. Holding the paw up after a week doesn't sound like it's healing properly.

Wishyouwould Fri 21-Nov-14 14:45:52

My cat did this - I could see pink on the pad of her paw so knew she had burnt herself.

I took her to the vets that day and she was given an injection of antibiotics and a 5 day course of treatment to stop any infection. I was told to keep her in for 48 hours which was no mean feat!

I would say if he is still holding his paw up as he hops along he needs to see a vet. I know it's really distressing to put them in a cage to take them - mine was hissing at me, that's when I knew she was in pain and I had to take her - but I better than him getting an infection if he does need treatment.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 21-Nov-14 15:39:34

Mine did this, it was winter so I put him out because the ground was cold and it would stop the burn progressing.

I think the vet is in order though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now