Talk

Advanced search

Should we take a kitten away with us for Christmas week?

(21 Posts)
Aviator Fri 21-Nov-14 10:36:12

So, we took in a stray kitten, we weren't going to keep it but here we are 2 weeks later, kitten is still here and winning the hearts of the household. Now come Christmas time we are going away for a week, kitten will be approx 4 months old by then. Please forgive me for my ignorance (first time feline owner here) but should we take it with us, its just to a relatives house who are fine, (so far) with the idea of having a kitten for a week.....Or should we leave the kitten here in the home that it knows and get someone to come in here for an hour a day to feed and interact with the kitten. I know most people with cats do this but I wasn't sure if thats the right thing to do with a kitten as it always seems ever so pleased to see people and I think it will get really bored here for a week on its own. At the same time I don't know if it will be really freaked out in a new environment for a week and its a 4 hour drive. Any sound bits of advice?

Queenofknickers Fri 21-Nov-14 10:39:10

Is she indoor or does she go out?

Aviator Fri 21-Nov-14 10:41:54

indoor only, its only roughly 10 weeks old at the moment

AlpacaMyBags Fri 21-Nov-14 10:48:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AlpacaMyBags Fri 21-Nov-14 10:49:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ruhrpott Fri 21-Nov-14 11:07:12

We leave our cats home too with a friend coming in everyday. I think one of cats would love to come with us and is very open to travelling and just loves being around us. Our other cat hates change and would hate to go somewhere else for a week, hates being locked indoors anywhere and would go mental and scratch all the doors.
I think in your position I would take the kitten with me. You need to make sure though that it won't get out of the house you are going to stay in.

cozietoesie Fri 21-Nov-14 11:10:37

What sort of facilities would you have in the relative's house? (eg a room on your own or kipping on a couch in the living room.)

shaska Fri 21-Nov-14 13:04:11

I'd take it with me, but I don't think leaving it behind would be a terrible thing to do.

Both options have a 'sad kitten' downside in that it might not love being taken somewhere new, but you're right it will probably be a little bit lonely on its own, even with someone coming in. I do tend to think kittens are more flexible about new surroundings and being moved than grown up cats, and also more prone to loneliness - which is why I'd take it.

Aviator Fri 21-Nov-14 13:12:44

I would have my own room, kitten would most likely be in the kitchen at night as it's really warm and there are no leather sofas to scratch, basically where I think it would do less damage! I figured kittens would be more adaptable to change, but just a guess really. Also, I suppose when travelling in a cat box they just have to go to the loo in the box - sounds daft but should I be putting some litter in the box - like half blanket half litter? Kitten is small enough so there's room.

cozietoesie Fri 21-Nov-14 14:02:00

A four hour drive? It will probably cross its legs but you could always get a puppy pad or something similar and put that in the bottom. (I generally just use a big fluffy towel which can be washed and have a litter tray in the car for stops just in case. (You never let them out of their case while the car is moving or a window or door is open.) That way (having a prepared litter tray to hand) you can get them quickly settled in their new place with minimum fuss.

On balance, I think I'd take it but I'd keep it in your room, using an old cardboard box and old fleece as a bed if you don't want it in bed with you. I should say, here, that I'm prejudiced having had a long stream of Siamese boys who once they were bonded, tended to take the view that 'Where Mummy is, that's my home' - so I've always travelled with mine.

It helped that whenever we travelled to someone else's house, they were all cat devotees. It's important, I think, to keep to feeding etc routines and not to have the kitten 'on display', especially if there are fevered children around. (It's actually quite useful to have an excuse in someone else's house to have to go for quiet time with the kitten.)

DayLillie Fri 21-Nov-14 14:12:22

We took our kitten on holiday with us once (many years ago), because he had not had all his injections and was too young for the cattery.

We stayed in a caravan on sand dunes in a quiet place by the see. Lost the kitten and got desperate, but he came back, triumphantly, with a mouse.

cozietoesie Fri 21-Nov-14 14:19:47

I recall taking Twoago on a UK touring holiday. (Different hotel every couple of nights.) There was one hotel which was quite posh although it was end of season, hence we could afford it, and we were just getting ready for dinner when there was a tentative knock on the door - which we opened to reveal a very unnerved chambermaid.

'Chef wondered if he would like a little chicken lightly sauteed in some butter for his supper?'

It ended up more like a medieval royal progress than a holiday. (With us as the slavish courtiers.)

Aviator Fri 21-Nov-14 14:20:58

Thanks for the tips, I wasn't sure if the kitten would get stressed having to pee in the same place as it is travelling and it being sat on a wet blanket, Ill look at puppy pads. Currently it doesn't have a bed, it seems just to sleep in a different place each night - under the sofa, behind the DVD player, inside its play hole thing, so perhaps I should think about a bed for it then it might feel more comfortable away from home. Fortunately the kitten is very used to having fevered children around as it was brought into this family where there are 3 young ones anyway so it might find the elderly relatives a bit 'quiet'. I can't have it sleeping in the bedroom with me as the room I usually have gets incredibly hot and the elderly relatives seem to have their heating on all night and the bedroom is above the kitchen where they have an aga so its super super hot, I have to open the windows to sleep even in winter!

cozietoesie Fri 21-Nov-14 14:29:56

The Lodger had a poo accident once - sometimes timing of journeys is just unfortunate - but he was the only cat I've ever had who did have an accident. The rest have just crossed their legs while the car was in motion despite some quite long intervals. Puppy training pads might be good to reassure you though even if they might not be needed. I think they can be bought quite cheaply in various supermarkets.

RubbishMantra Fri 21-Nov-14 17:16:14

Like you, I can't sleep with the window open.

I have a FlatCat. They fix to the window with adhesive velcro, so no permanent fixing to the window, meaning no damage.

I agree with Cozie, kitten will probably be happiest in your room. It will also reduce the chances of a kitten escaping outside. Otherwise you will be constantly checking all the doors and windows are closed.

msrisotto Fri 21-Nov-14 17:22:52

I found that my kitten was quite willing to go for a try when I put her in her litter tray before a journey! Hilarious. Worth a go before the trip. Puppy pads are a lifesaver too.

Hoppinggreen Fri 21-Nov-14 23:15:25

Cats usually don't like a change in surroundings so if you have got someone who can come to your house and look after the kitten then I would do that.
If you take it please make sure you have it chipped in case it gets out

sashh Sat 22-Nov-14 08:23:06

I'd take the kitten with me, put a pad in the carrier and be prepared for it to 'sing the song of its people' for about half an hour then sleep.

Take feliway with you and whatever the kitten sleeps on now.

Most cats are happier in their own home but kittens can adapt. I had a cat that was quite happy going from my place to my mum and dads for odd weeks.

shaska Sat 22-Nov-14 10:38:33

Giggle at 'sing the song of its people', I know exactly the tune you mean!

pigsDOfly Sat 22-Nov-14 12:48:14

I'd take such a young kitten with me.

Would advise buying Feliway spray to spray in the travel box. I used it when I moved house - 2 hour drive - with my two elderly cats who both hated going in the car. Normally they would both howl for the whole length of any journey and male cat would usually poo at some point and howl even louder.

As you can imagine I was dreading the move. Feliway spray was a lifesaver: cats murmured a bit at beginning of journey, then settled down and were quiet the whole time. On arrival they were relaxed and just took everything in their stride.

Don't know what's in it but it's truly amazing stuff. Would just add it's quite pricey, but worth every penny.

ChickenMe Sat 22-Nov-14 13:34:00

Also Lol at "sing the song of its people".
I would take the kitten with you but keep it in your room the majority of the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now