Talk

Advanced search

Am I feeding cat enough?

(10 Posts)
WalkingThePlank Thu 20-Nov-14 17:50:42

We have a new (to us) cat aged just over 1 year. We collected her from CPL last Monday and she was feeding her kittens until then. She weighs 4kg.

On the advice of CPL, we are giving her 1 Felix sachet for breakfast and 1 for dinner and she has a 60g of Purina biscuits available per day.

Her 2 sachets are 12 hours apart which she gulps down and eats almost all of the biscuits through the day. However she looks like she is hungry.

So are we feeding her enough?

At the moment she stays indoors so perhaps she is just bored. She's going out next weekend. Will she be more hungry if running around outside?

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 20-Nov-14 18:30:25

Perhaps, what does the feeding guidelines on the boxes say for a cat her weight?.

girliefriend Thu 20-Nov-14 18:37:11

Has she been wormed recently?

Sounds about right, maybe up the biscuits so she has enough to last her all day iyswim, fwiw my cats have one sachet of soft food in the morning and I tend to top the biscuits (science diet) up when the bowl starts looking empty, between them that is about an average sized bowl of biscuits a day.

WalkingThePlank Thu 20-Nov-14 21:03:22

Yes she was wormed 2 weeks ago. The packaging indicates that we're feeding her enough. Just don't want her being hungry.

I feel a bit sorry for her. She looks a bit down and is miowing more than when she arrived. She's our first cat and I think I'm finding it hard not being able to know if she is ok.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 20-Nov-14 21:27:11

Try an extra pouch in the morning. Mine has two pouches am, one at lunch and one at dinner.

He's about 1.5kg heavier than yours but he's a muscular active breed.

girliefriend Thu 20-Nov-14 21:43:38

Is she skinny?

I would keep the biscuits topped up and if she eats all the pouch in one go, put another one down to see how she goes. If she seems hungry all the time and is still skinny it maybe a thyroid problem so would be worth chatting to vet about.

I'd give her more.. she sounds hungry, and guidelines are just that.
I've always fed mine more or less on demand, and dry stuff is down at all times and none have ever been fat.. just content!

RubbishMantra Thu 20-Nov-14 23:07:08

I feed mine 200g Animonda Carny each a day (very high meat protein) and as much Applaws biscuits as they need. The bowl is topped up so it's never empty.

If she's not overweight, I would free-feed the biscuits. It's rare for cats to over-eat.

shaska Thu 20-Nov-14 23:51:06

We've got one who had been scavenging and to begin with she would beg for food 24/7. Now that she's learned she'll get fed every day she's much better, so I wouldn't necessarily trust what the cat says at this stage!

That said, if she's been feeding kittens she might be under her healthy weight, so I don't think you'd do any harm by feeding her a little bit extra for a wee while - it'll also help her settle in and learn that the food will come no matter what.

As far as levels go - 2 sachets + biscuits sounds perfectly fine to me as a regular feeding level. Ours have 1/2 a small grau tin (roughly equivalent to a sachet) and a meal's worth of dry daily. They get lunch if they beg but it's rare, maybe once a month.

elinorjane Fri 21-Nov-14 19:46:12

Our two just get around 50g of Purina a day then some wet food (third of a tin of Whiskas or Felix) couple of nights a week. They don't seem hungry or too skinny but they both weigh around 3.5 kg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now