Talk

Advanced search

Pulling clothes off radiator

(12 Posts)
babyiwantabump Wed 19-Nov-14 17:27:18

Driving me mad!

Ever since I had DS my adult male has started acting up . One thing he does now is pulls clothes down off the radiator or airer to sleep on. He has several cat beds and a radiator bed!

How can I stop it !

TIA
X

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 19-Nov-14 17:49:06

Put a cat blanket on the rad, let him pull it off and sleep on it.

Everyone's happy that way.

cozietoesie Wed 19-Nov-14 19:03:57

Seniorboy did this when he was younger. I think it stemmed from wanting to pull drying towels over himself to be extra-specially warm with no drafts. Have you changed the heating in the house with the new arrival at all?

isseywithcats Wed 19-Nov-14 20:28:15

you could put something that makes a noise like a tin with dried peas or something rattley on top of the washing so when he pulls it down he gets a noisy missile heading his way might stop him the cats here dont pull the washing down they just kip on top of it

cozietoesie Wed 19-Nov-14 20:36:40

How old is he?

babyiwantabump Wed 19-Nov-14 21:45:37

He is 10 - I didn't think the new baby would affect him that much as I have a 10 year old DD and a 7 year old SDD and various nieces and nephews so he is used to kids.

He's just started acting so strange!

Have given him his own towel on the floor but he has turned his nose up and gone out so far .

cozietoesie Wed 19-Nov-14 22:00:12

I'd try a heated pad to put in one of his beds at ground floor level. I think he's after warmth and no drafts. (I know he has a radiator bed but they aren't always on, I guess?)

babyiwantabump Thu 20-Nov-14 09:16:32

Well neither worked !

With a heat pad and his own towel he still pulled one if my dresses off the radiator!

Could he be doing it for attention ? Do cats do that?

cozietoesie Thu 20-Nov-14 12:23:08

It's possible - how much game playing does he do and how much attention does he get?

I still think it's more likely to be him making himself a nice place though. (I just remember Seniorboy doing that and with hindsight, it was the first small sign that he was getting on a bit and had some sore bones.) Time for a little detective work perhaps. Have you worked out when he does it? And is it when the clothes are still wet or when they're nicely warm (albeit a bit damp)?

Maybe up the game playing and interest for him - put his food in a foraging toy if he eats any dried for example - check that he has a nice draft free warm bed (an old cut down largeish cardboard box with his heat pad in it and covered by some old fleece or similar should cost virtually nothing) and then try things for a bit longer, while refraining from putting clothes on the radiator for a couple of days to see if you can break the habit. You've only given him overnight after all.

superbagpuss Thu 20-Nov-14 12:26:23

My male cat does this, only he pulls of DH underpants of the airer and sleeps on them, only black items (same colour as him)

We moved his cat basket to where he was chosing to sleep on the pants and he looked at me as if I was mad

He has also started to sleep in the bath

imalostcause Thu 20-Nov-14 12:34:40

My Siamese has always done this, he pulls the towels off towel rails above radiators in the bathroom and sleeps on them. I'm very sure he just wants to be as warm as possible smile

CattyCatCat Thu 20-Nov-14 14:40:42

My cats pull every single piece of clothing off every single thing you try to dry them on. Then they happily lie down and sit on the wet clothes. This is despite having access to sofas, beds, cat tree etc. It makes indoor drying very hard. I tumble just about everything I can. I'll sometimes actually place my tops over wooden kitchen chair backs as if the chair was a person wearing the tops. That seems to be the only way the cats can't get them off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now