Talk

Advanced search

Urgent help with cat flap needed

(20 Posts)
WalkingThePlank Wed 19-Nov-14 11:06:57

As we speak a new cat flap is being fitted. I asked for it to be non-magnetic and to be accessible for cat.

The hole is really high so not sure if cat can reach it and I am not sure I want yet another thing around my cats neck.

Can anyone reassure me about magnets around cats necks and how much a cat can stretch to reach a cat flap.

Woozlebear Wed 19-Nov-14 11:16:29

If it's too high just make a little step for the cat. We've improvised several times with a few bricks, lumps of wood etc

Can't advise re magnets I'm afraid. Can't get collars on ours for love nor money.

WalkingThePlank Wed 19-Nov-14 11:26:46

How high does that make the cat flap from the step.

On the inside (where we can't have a step or we'd fall over it) the flap is 31cm above the floor and on the outside it is 47cm. She is a small cat. I am so annoyed. I just Googled cat flaps and the recommended height is 15 cm.

This isn't just a case of having a new magnetic when we asked for plain cat flap installed, we are paying a lot of money for a whole new double glazed back door with the hole and cat flap in the wrong place. I am so upset.

I can't see how this can be resolved so that the cat can use the cat flap and we don't trip over whatever we have to make to remedy the situation.

Hexiegone Wed 19-Nov-14 11:31:46

The bottom of our cat flap is about 15cm from the floor. I'd stop the work now and say it's not (a) what you asked for and (b) good enough as it's not at a suitable height therefore not fit for purpose. Don't wait until it's all finished. Take photos if you can. Do you have your request for non-magnetic in writing? Any other paperwork?

smoothieooo Wed 19-Nov-14 11:32:49

I was worried about our cat flap being a little high when the cat goes out so have a piece of wood on a brick so he doesn't have such a big drop. Our flap works with the cat's chip which is fab - no unwanted intruders can get in (he also won't keep a collar on).

OwlCapone Wed 19-Nov-14 11:35:19

I would complain that this is not what you asked for. 31cm is very high!

WalkingThePlank Wed 19-Nov-14 11:44:15

They've gone. I didn't realise until they were almost finished when he came to tell me that they were fitting a magnetic flap which I had explicitly not asked for.

DH is going to go bonkers when he sees it; they may not be paid until the cat has demonstrated that she can actually use it.

MrsCurrent Wed 19-Nov-14 11:45:22

That far too high, stop them now and tell them to rectify it. My cats won't wear a collar so we just have a standard cat flap.

ooerrmissus Wed 19-Nov-14 11:51:51

31 cm is ridiculous. Our cat is enormous and he wouldn't be able to manage that.

Second the cat flaps that work on their chip, they really work and you don't have to worry about them losing a collar.

WalkingThePlank Wed 19-Nov-14 11:53:32

The thing is they came with the glass pre-cut. I saw the hole, said that is too high and they could not explain why it is so high. Before I knew it, the wrong cat flap was fitted and they were gone.

The owner of the window/door company has 7 cats so he knows what cats need. It is fair for us to say that when we want a door with a cat flap in it to expect the cat flap to be fitted in an appropriate place.

Will be interesting to see how DH handles it - I don't think they should be paid as it is not fit for purpose.

Woozlebear Wed 19-Nov-14 13:15:01

That's ridiculous! That's as high as the top of ours (on the inside, anyway) and my cats are huge.

They will have to redo it. Simple. Not fit for purpose.

What a nightmare!

FushandChups Wed 19-Nov-14 21:10:10

Definitely complain and get a new door fitted. Having had the joys of the magnetic cat flap yesterday, the other issue you have is that the flap may not 'read' the collar magnet as it's recommended you have a flat bit in front of this type of flap so it can release before there is a cat trying to get through it. Sounds like your cat will need to jump to even get to the door...sad

This is the reason I went for non magnetic (as well as a non collar wearing cat) and I think you would be well within your rights to refuse payment.

FushandChups Wed 19-Nov-14 21:11:48

Oh - and height wise.. The bottom of the hole should be level with the bottom of your cats belly.. unless you have some sort of mini tiger, am guessing 31cm is more than a little high!

PetFlapStep Wed 25-Jan-17 10:43:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Nero1983 Mon 30-Jan-17 16:18:54

Hello...would definitely be interested in this although for my Chihuahua (who uses a cat flap). Please email samwinmill@hotmail.com as would be interested in testing Many thanks :-)

Eatingcheeseontoast Mon 30-Jan-17 16:23:09

Complain. That's ridiculous. We had a ladder (made from a garden trellis) up to our catflap as there wasn't any choice.

Also microchip catflaps are probably the way to go - so they don't have to have a collar on. Ours would keep a collar on for 20 seconds tops.

Eatingcheeseontoast Mon 30-Jan-17 16:23:34

Oh bugger zombie thread

PetFlapStep Mon 30-Jan-17 19:07:54

PetFlapStep Mon 30-Jan-17 19:16:21

UrethaFranklin Tue 31-Jan-17 11:09:36

About the magnetic thing, you can take the magnet out, my DH has removed ours. Only slight problem is now that other cats can get in if I forget to lock it at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now