Talk

Advanced search

Cat has scabs round her neck

(12 Posts)
greyhoundgymnastics Sun 16-Nov-14 15:45:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chockbic Sun 16-Nov-14 15:49:20

Sounds like an allergy to me.

You need some hardcore flea exterminator.

greyhoundgymnastics Sun 16-Nov-14 15:54:29

chockbic Sun 16-Nov-14 16:08:50

I think its Indorex spray for the house.

Can't remember the actual flea treatment, sorry.

RubbishMantra Sun 16-Nov-14 16:18:25

Does she play-fight much with boy-cat? If so the scabs could be from him grabbing her neck? Sometimes I notice little scratches on MKitten where he fights with MCat.

Advantage, Broadline or Advocate are good flea treatments. Your vet will write you a prescription for a small fee, then you can buy them more cheaply online.

greyhoundgymnastics Sun 16-Nov-14 16:47:14

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 16-Nov-14 16:50:20

Sounds like flea allergic dermatitis not every vet solution is expensive. My practice sells Activyl ( a great relatively new product) for less than OTC frontline and our flea check up is free.

overslept Sun 16-Nov-14 22:58:43

Advice here is great. Also Frontline is useless you want Advantage spot on for cats. It works amazingly and you can order online for a lot less than the vet will charge you. You do not need a prescription for the flea only treatment, only for the flea/wormer combination. I use this and have never had fleas.

Flea collars are useless on the cat as the fleas just run down to the bum end. Putting one in the vacuum cleaner cylinder works really well though and will kill the ones you suck up from the carpet. You need to vacuum up as much as possible, the idea being you take the eggs and fleas out of the carpet before they can breed.

overslept Sun 16-Nov-14 23:03:02

Should also add, you chop the flea collar up before putting in the cylinder. Empty vacuum a lot, and just add more bits each time. You can get flea collars really cheaply.

ThatBloodyWoman Sun 16-Nov-14 23:05:09

Does the cat wear a collar?

One if mine used to get this with a collar -stopped when I stopped her wearing a collar.

Slowdownsally Sun 16-Nov-14 23:08:16

My old boy gets a dust mite allergy that shows as scabby skin on his neck and down his spine.

He will crawl under beds and behind furniture so it's a pain.

A thorough clean and a jab at the vets ( I think it's a steroid one) usually sorts him out, but sometimes it goes if it's own accord.

Slowdownsally Sun 16-Nov-14 23:08:48

Its own... Grr hate that typo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now