Talk

Advanced search

House move top tips?

(6 Posts)
Solaia Sun 16-Nov-14 10:44:38

We are moving house in January with our 18 month old girl cat. She is a bit difficult, she bites hard and scratches with only the subtlest warning. From day one we have implemented a program of trying to deal with these habits but it's a gradual process... She has pica so she probably had a traumatic start before we got her.

I'm trying to minimise the trauma of moving house for her as well as keep her safe. She goes crazy being kept indoors and loves being out in our garden. Our new house is far more suitable, a quiet street and larger garden but I don't think I can let her out straight away, even if she is desperate?

Any tips from anyone who has moved house with a cat? I want to keep it as stress free as possible for her (and for us!)

Thanks thanks

Solaia Sun 16-Nov-14 10:58:39

Also the house we're moving to will be occupied by a dog until we move in - will the smell upset her?

thecatneuterer Sun 16-Nov-14 11:23:21

You must, must, must keep her inside for a minimum of three weeks. You will need to be very careful with opening doors/windows. I doubt the dog smell will upset her too much if there's no sign of a dog.

Try Feliway for a couple of weeks before you go and take it with you of course.

PolterGoose Sun 16-Nov-14 12:58:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Solaia Sun 16-Nov-14 14:16:23

Have heard about feliway but never tried it. Will order some thanks.

RubbishMantra Sun 16-Nov-14 14:59:55

Another one who agrees with the Feliway and keeping her in for at least 3 weeks.

The only thing I have to add is perhaps you could give her some Zylkene - it's the equivalent of valium for cats. It's a milk protein derivative, so non-addictive. You can buy it online, from vetuk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now