Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about cat litter - what an exciting thread!!

(5 Posts)
WalkingThePlank Fri 14-Nov-14 23:15:45

We have a new cat and are novices.

We are using wood pellet litter as this is what she was used to at her foster mums at the Cats Protection League. How often do we have to change it? I was removing the bit where she has wee-ed but I'm not sure if this is necessary every time. She does a poo twice a day and I have been in at the time so have scooped it up and put it in the nearby loo. Obviously a bit of litter gets picked up to so is it OK for wood pellets to go in the loo - obviously not in large quantities, just the small amount that is in my poop-a-scoop.

Would we be better off with different litter - and how do you manage the change.

Any tips would be great.

I've used all types.. but have gone back to wood chip as I find it the best for keeping smells down. (I have three cats who all prefer to poo indoors!)
I scoop poos out as soon as I see them, change the whole lot every two days , and scrub the trays once a week. If it's very wet, with lots of sawdust I'll change the lot daily, but one cat shouldn't need that.
I chuck lumps down the loo, but be wary... I put too much down one time and it reformed into a log grin necessitating rubber gloves, removal and a lot of swearing!!!

I'd be wary of changing if that's what she is used to... we buy 3 bags a week (!) but ran out tonight and I had to get clumping stuff, and Obie (AKA little ginger shite) has refused to use it and has pooed in the shower shock!!!

Cats can be surprisingly obstinate when it comes to litter !!!!!

WalkingThePlank Sat 15-Nov-14 00:02:57

I did see your other post. Poor you.

RubbishMantra Sat 15-Nov-14 15:44:08

I've used all types - never the wood-chip though.

The best one I've found so far is World's Best. Even though it's a clumper, you can still chuck it down the loo, because it's made of corn. You can even compost it, because it's biodegradable.

CattyCatCat Sat 15-Nov-14 18:18:43

My favourite is World's best and it is pretty good for not tracking through the house. I current use Cat's Best clumping. It is very good but it goes everywhere. I sweep a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now