Talk

Advanced search

Yowling

(4 Posts)
CatIshoo Thu 13-Nov-14 03:57:40

I woke up to two cats doing the 'song of our people' routine. So I got out of my warm and cozy bed to see what was happening and see if it was Arthur.

Sure enough it was Arthur and another smaller black cat, yowling with each other. It didn't seem aggressive but Arthur's tail was puffed up.

He followed me into the house then went to his bowl asking for food, he wasn't actually interested in it.though and was still quite skittish.

Unfortunately our kitten decided at that moment to come downstair so got attacked (he wasn't hurt but is pretty spooked) then Arthur yowled some more and randomly attacked my leg. I came off worse than kitten did before, there's blood.

Does anyone know what could have caused this 'weirdness' that took over Arthur for a while. I'm not sure of the other at is in heat but would that still effect Arthur has he has been nurtured (he was about 12 to 18 months old when it was done) The yowling episode has happened about 3 months ago as well.

And my leg is really stinging sad

cozietoesie Thu 13-Nov-14 09:02:14

Sounds like he was full of adrenalin after the preparatory stages of combat and in a mood to kick dustbins. (They may not have atually scrapped but then cats often don't get that far- they would still be full of themselves though until the mood passed.)

Have you considered keeping him in at night? It's gnerally safer for them. (And less anxiety-making for you.)

CatIshoo Thu 13-Nov-14 09:38:12

He stays in about 99% of the time but occasionally he seems to have a need to be a free spirit and no amount of calling or coaxing will get him in. (Even using Dreams shock)

So you think it was fighting talk then? I wasn't sure if the other cat was on heat but didn't think that would affect a neutered male?

Dh also saw him stalking a fox when he was trying to get him in last night. I do wonder what gets into their heads sometimes.

He is all settled now and the two cats have been playing with each other as normal and are now cuddled up together. grin

cozietoesie Thu 13-Nov-14 10:41:22

Cats often yowl at each other as the first stage of a potential fight. We're not talking Inuit song duel here more a sort of 'I'm so big and mean (listen to the size of my yowl) that you really ought to think twice about this before taking me on!'

Pumps them up and it may take a short while before the flood of chemicals and the rage leave their system. They're usually best left alone for a bit to calm down.

(Interestingly, they sometimes get meaner if they're basic cowards and are just singing for the sake of it. When you go to intervene, they're quite grateful deep down but it doesn't always show. If Arthur was stalking a fox, though, it doesn't sound as if that's one of his problem.)

I'd keep on trying your darnedest to get him in for the night though. It shouldn't be too difficult with the bad weather coming upon us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now