Talk

Advanced search

Stale cat wee smell on kitchen tiles! How to get rid of smell.

(8 Posts)
CrazyBabies Wed 12-Nov-14 13:32:32

Hi, basically I removed the litter tray when we put our new cat flap in, but the cat kept weeping in the place where the litter tray once was. Cleaned it and cleaned it. Bought all sorts of products including pet odour remover.
Anyway we now have a huge fridge in the place where she used to wee and I can still smell urine.
Am currently burning a Price candle which is for pet odours.
Any tips would be welcomed.

Fcukfifa Wed 12-Nov-14 13:40:46

Could you pull up and replace the few tiles that the cat weed on?

micah Wed 12-Nov-14 13:42:58

Biological washing powder. The enzymes break down the urine. Will also mean the cat can't smell it and think that's his toilet place.

CattyCatCat Wed 12-Nov-14 15:05:15

Have you tried a special cat cleaning product. I bought a Johnsons' one with citrus deterrent in it. They are great at removing smells. Once you have done this you could also squirt some jiff lemon and run it around the floor.

RubbishMantra Wed 12-Nov-14 16:06:13

"weeping in the place where the litter tray once was" Poor cat, she sounds distraught! grin

On a more helpful note, it's always a good idea to have a litter tray for an out-door going cat - sometimes they don't want to do their business outside. Like if a cat is threatening her or she feels unwell.

timtam23 Wed 12-Nov-14 21:26:06

I would also say scrub the area with a solution of biological washing powder, you could also try hydrogen peroxide. Distilled white vinegar neutralises the smell. Don't use bleach or anything with ammonia as this wil make it worse.

sashh Fri 14-Nov-14 06:24:15

Biological washing powder. The biological bit breaks down the er thingies (might be enzymes) that cause the smell.

chemenger Fri 14-Nov-14 12:47:50

Strong solution of bio-washing powder, saturate the area and leave it for as long as possible. It could be that the wee has got under the tiles (cracks in them or in the grout) and that is why the smell is lingering, in which case you either need to take the tiles up or give the detergent solution time to seep through as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now