Talk

Advanced search

Is dry food enough?

(7 Posts)
juneybean Tue 11-Nov-14 10:03:51

I adopted a Persian kitten a few weeks ago and she is now 5 months old. She feeds on royal canin Persian kitten and I now offer cat milk as every time I put whiskas kitten food down it goes uneaten. She also has access to water.

My worry is that I suspect she's not eating enough, she seems happy but when I go to the kitchen she cries but her dry food is already out and whenever I offer the wet she sniffs it and leaves it.

I tried weighing her last week and I'm sure it said 4.8lbs but this week it says 4.2lbs.

I'm feeding what the breeder had her on. Any ideas?

RubbishMantra Tue 11-Nov-14 10:13:40

Maybe she isn't keen on Whiskas?

Perhaps try out a few different brands. My 7 month old kitten likes Animonda Carny, but then again he's extremely greedy and would probably eat anything.

They get everything they need from a good quality biscuit (mine get Applaws, it's grain free), but I like to give them a couple of wet meals a day because they enjoy it so much. smile

MinimalistMommi Tue 11-Nov-14 12:51:00

My ragdoll is fed a raw diet and really enjoys its (wolfs it down), could you try her on different small amounts of wet food to see what she likes?

juneybean Tue 11-Nov-14 13:11:13

Good idea, I'll pop to the shops after work today and pick up a few. Her breeder said she was still taking milk from mum when I got her (at 20 weeks... She would fit in well on Mumsnet!) So I guess she's still weaning really.

code Tue 11-Nov-14 13:17:20

I agree try her on a few different high meat content quality wet foods. Happy kitty company are online and do fantastic high quality German foods (and deliver a mixed trial pack- just call them or do an email enquiry). Zooplus do a really good selection. Lily's kitchen is also good and Waitrose stock it. Butchers classic is better than Whiskas and available everywhere.

MinimalistMommi Tue 11-Nov-14 13:36:20

Another vote for Lily's kitchen, our vet recommended we try it along side the raw for when she goes to cattery or its not convenient. He actually recommended we don't feed kibble at all and just feed wet but I know a lot of people like to leave dry down all the time.

Mine won't TOUCH whiskers or felix! I have them on Animonda Carny from Zooplus for wet food and Royal Canin kitten for dry (as I like to leave some down).

This weekend I ran out of my Animonda Carny (waiting for the order to arrive) and tried felix and one of the kittens acually tried to bury it grin ..shows what she thinks of that!

I have been reduced to cooking chicken fillets for them today...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now