Talk

Advanced search

My cat is giving birth but I don't know if all is well. Help!

(61 Posts)
TrappedInThePast01 Mon 10-Nov-14 21:57:39

She has been really clingy with me, meowing and not wanting to leave my side. Thinking she was probably in labour, I offered her den like boxes but she wouldn't stay in them.

About half an hour ago she gave birth to her first kitten on the carpet near to my feet. After allowing her to clean the kitten, I layed a towel close to her but she immediately grabbed the kitten and took it upstairs and inside a wardrobe.

I can hear the kitten mewing and she is in there with it sort of growling. If I leave the room she follows me out. If I stay in the room she will sit inside with the kitten but periodically comes out to sit with me. When she hears the kitten crying she goes back in but does the low growling noise.

What is going on and what can I do? I know she has more yet to be born. I'm so worried she is rejecting them. This is her first litter btw.

winterland Mon 10-Nov-14 22:01:57

I'm not sure that you can help with cats really. I think any interference will put her off. When mine gave birth I had to leave her to it on her own then I checked later. Instinct tells them what to do x

GoofyIsACow Mon 10-Nov-14 22:02:40

I don't know but I am a sucker for a live birth so good luck OP and good luck TrappedCat smile

meltedmonterayjack Mon 10-Nov-14 22:03:00

Awww poor little mite. Think I'd ring an out of hours vet for advice. Hope all is well for Mum and babies.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 10-Nov-14 22:09:05

Aww I'm not going to be much help, but I just couldn't read and run.
I'm sitting here in tears and melting at such cutness. (Fur babies get me everytime). Could she be apprehensive with this being her first litter.
Please please please when all settles down can we have a picture.
Sorry I'm no help I just love a baby animal thread.
Pass on my congratulations to the mummy cat.

readysteady Mon 10-Nov-14 22:10:39

is she growling because another one is about to pop out?

MummytoMog Mon 10-Nov-14 22:12:55

Do leave her alone, interference will upset her. Just pop in now and then to check on her - good luck!

itispronouncedpenguin Mon 10-Nov-14 22:24:55

It sounds like she wants you in the room for comfort - you might have a late night ahead! I second ringing an out of hr vet for advice but stay in the room with her. The growling noise is probably pain of contractions?

Antaresisastar Mon 10-Nov-14 22:27:06

Ask MN to move this to the "Litter Tray", loads of expert advice there

girliefriend Mon 10-Nov-14 22:28:08

You need to post in the litter tray (cats thread) cozie and co will know what to do <wrings hands>

How is it going?

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Mon 10-Nov-14 22:30:17

Hello, I know cat births.

Growling is something they do. Don't worry too much about it.

Empty your wardrobe of shoes and bags and put a duvet cover or something down for her.

Keep one door of it open and sit with her.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Mon 10-Nov-14 22:31:19

You may have a long night ahead of you, btw.

sunflower49 Mon 10-Nov-14 22:32:24

Stay close by, but don't interfere smile

Good luck!

InfinitySeven Mon 10-Nov-14 22:34:20

Yeah, she just wants you to sit in the room. Take the laptop, if could be a while!

girliefriend Mon 10-Nov-14 22:39:25

She may want you near by, when my cat went into labour (I was 14 at the time so we are talking a good few years back wink) she came to me and seemed to need me to reassure her.

She is probably pacing about because of the pain, she will settle down and sort the kittens out once they have all been born.

gingee Mon 10-Nov-14 22:41:19

OMG live kitten birth. I'm no expert but I would say leave to it as much as possible but sit in the room. And have out of hours vet number you can always call for reassurance. We too had kittens in the wardrobe once, years ago. Happy memories! (We kept one, other 3 went to family friends/dd teacher, they're all still about to this day and we have watched them grow up!)
Love a fur baby. Good luck op and mama cat

waithorse Mon 10-Nov-14 22:47:22

I love a kitten birth thread. Hope mother and baby are doing well.

moraf2 Mon 10-Nov-14 22:48:44

How exitosmile please keep us posted, can't wait to hear more

DillydollyRIP Mon 10-Nov-14 22:51:15

Hopefully all is well, do you know how many to exoect?

DillydollyRIP Mon 10-Nov-14 22:51:32

Expect

Mulligrubs Mon 10-Nov-14 22:54:01

Aw hope all is well

TrappedInThePast01 Tue 11-Nov-14 00:23:32

Sorry for the late update, I've been on the phone to the vet. So, turns out she was looking for reassurance and my help. She was coming to me and going back to the kitten, looking at me as if she wanted me to go in with her. Turns out the kitten couldn't latch on so I've spent the lat half an hour stimulating a cats teat and latching a newborn kitten hmm. It was as if she knew though because as soon as I picked up the kitten, she turned on her back to expose her teats.

It took ages but I finally have the kitten feeding. Mummy cat is now purring contentedly while baby feeds. Apparently this should stimulate the contractions for the next one to come along.

Will keep you all updated as looks like I'm going nowhere tonight grin.

TrappedInThePast01 Tue 11-Nov-14 00:24:20

Here's the first baby smile.

Fanjango Tue 11-Nov-14 00:33:15

Sweet! You are lucky. My cat decided she needed no help, nor any of the birthing boxes we provided. No she felt happiest getting on with it on dd2's bed. She was none the wiser, came running in in the morning saying the cat had funny paws! The paws turned out to be 5 kittens grin. Good luck, baby kits are great fun, just find them really nice homes.

sunflower49 Tue 11-Nov-14 00:35:12

aww good on you for being so lovely, calling the vet and asking for help. Keep us updated!

And your puss must be very comfortable with you to be enlisting your help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now