Talk

Advanced search

Which is the best cat litter for odour?

(42 Posts)
Catsarebastards Sun 09-Nov-14 14:49:44

And also will neutering male cat (7 months old so due to be done anyway) reduce the smell?

FannyFifer Sun 09-Nov-14 14:53:33

Neutering def helps, best litter I have found so far is this one.
www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=3357&pf_id=62684

Catsarebastards Sun 09-Nov-14 15:06:31

Thanks fanny. That isnt too expensive either is it!

FannyFifer Sun 09-Nov-14 15:20:04

I just scoop the poo out each morning then empty & clean litter tray & replace litter every 5-7 days.

Neutering def helped the urine smell and I also feed my cat dry food specifically for indoor cats as he pretty much is & that helps with smells as well.

I think I ordered the litter from Amazon last time, was about £12 for three bags including delivery. grin

Catsarebastards Sun 09-Nov-14 15:29:47

What indoor food would you recommend? He will also be completely indoor as we have had so much heartache with previous cats disappearing or being fatally injured and my son is absolutely devoted to this one. It just isnt worth the risk of his heartache to let the cat outside.

I was using wood pellet litter and was having to completely remove it twice a day so just yesterday i got bob martin ultimate odour control but the smell is still really strong.

FannyFifer Sun 09-Nov-14 15:35:04

I started off on the wood pellet stuff, was rank, it stank my house out.

I use Royal canin indoor dry food, he was on the kitten one but was fine to move to adult after neutering.

Would also get a bit of chicken or fish etc if we eating it though, he's a spoiled boy. grin

FannyFifer Sun 09-Nov-14 15:36:38

It's pretty dear but I buy it in bulk so around £40 for a 10kg bag which lasts a few months.

Catsarebastards Sun 09-Nov-14 15:45:53

Thanks fanny. You're a great help. grin

FannyFifer Sun 09-Nov-14 15:51:25

I'm a bit OCD about making sure you can't smell cat in my house. grin

Maybe try a wee pack first to make sure your cat likes them, my lad is a fussy bugger & I tried numerous foods which he turned his nose up at till we settled on this one.

Catsarebastards Sun 09-Nov-14 16:11:19

Oh yes- ive had enough cats to know that they decide what food i buy! grin

Just checked and asda sell the felight litter so that's handy for me. No delivery fees!

SilveryMoon Sun 09-Nov-14 16:15:23

I use a clumping litter and scoop out every morning and change completely once a week. Neutering will help and stop him spraying.
Regarding food my cats will only eat tesco own in gravy. Anything else even the poh brands they don't touch. Funny things

FannyFifer Sun 09-Nov-14 16:24:28

My cat won't eat wet cat food, it's like he just licks the gravy or moisture of it but doesn't eat the actual meat, weirdo.
Unfortunately for me he chose the dear feckin stuff, was a free sample from the vets that started his habit!

RubbishMantra Sun 09-Nov-14 16:28:36

I use World's Best and Clumping Gold. World's Best clumps a little better, but the other one is best for odour control.

Catsarebastards Sun 09-Nov-14 16:31:37

Fanny my older girl cat licks gravy and leaves the chunks but she disappears for days at a time so i am guessing she is either being fed elsewhere or catching birds or mice to eat as she is far from skinny grin

Cats are so fussy although my friend's yorkie dog went through 15 brands of dog food before she would eat any! Fussier than any cat ive had!

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 09-Nov-14 18:12:24

Sainsburys own brand ultra clumping is very similar to sanicat gold plus cheaper.

They are both talcum powder scented.

thecatneuterer Sun 09-Nov-14 18:14:09

I think the wood pellet stuff is the best. There is no odour with it at all (although of course you need to get rid of the shit as soon as it's deposited - nothing on earth will stop shit smellingsmile ). The only problem with it is that it ends up as a sort of sawdust when wet which does tend to track around the house.

Catsarebastards Sun 09-Nov-14 18:15:42

Really thecat? Is there a particular brand you recommend? I was using smart litter wood pellets.

Catsarebastards Sun 09-Nov-14 18:17:39

Oh and yes the shit gets lifted as soon as i smell it. Unless the dog beats me to it hmm

FannyFifer Sun 09-Nov-14 18:20:04

The cat, I tried several wood pellet ones to start with as more environmentally friendly but even a tiny wee just made it smell damp & musty.

FannyFifer Sun 09-Nov-14 18:21:04

Meant to say I also have a closed litter tray that cat has to go into via a flap. grin

Catsarebastards Sun 09-Nov-14 18:22:39

Ahh! Closed litter tray! Why had i not thought of that? Good idea. Might keep the dog out too grin

thecatneuterer Sun 09-Nov-14 18:23:18

I use the Pets at Home own brand. A huge sack for £8 (30L I think). I've just looked though and it's not on their website. You can obviously only buy it in store.

Of course it could be that he now has a proper tom cat smell. Seven months is late to neuter (we recommend doing it between four and five months), so he could already have developed that dreadful odour which nothing will disguise.

Catsarebastards Sun 09-Nov-14 18:26:39

Eek! So it could be permanent smell? For some reason i thought 6 months was neutering age and he's just gone seven months last week. I'm going to book him in in the morning.

Catsarebastards Sun 09-Nov-14 18:28:01

Oh i know why i thought six months, because that is what it was with the female cat at our vet so i just assumed same for males.

thecatneuterer Sun 09-Nov-14 18:29:09

Some vets still do say six months, but that's old fashioned advice and younger is better. Don't worry though, if it is that it will wear off within three weeks of neutering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now