Talk

Advanced search

Help stopping cat weeing in the house

(8 Posts)
curlyclaz13 Sat 08-Nov-14 09:41:54

We have two cats, one is 13 and the little one is 6, the little one we adopted at 18 months. She has always been funny about going outside to wee if it is wet, so as well as a cat flap we have a litter tray during winter (summer she is fine and goes out no problem), last night came home to find a poo by the front door and a wee in the dining room, the litter tray did need changing so she has fresh litter today but DP caught her weeing in the living room, unfortunately it was on ds's toys as well. Dp has gone a bit mad as obviously this is not what we want. We have not long moved and have feliway plugged in but she does have a history of doing this, can anyone suggest something that might help us stop this happening as dp is threatening that we will have to re-home her. Another litter tray is not really an option as there is nowhere safe from ds (17mo) to put it.

cozietoesie Sat 08-Nov-14 09:46:15

I think you're going to have to put your thinking cap on because it sounds as if you really need another tray. Does the older cat use a tray as well?

curlyclaz13 Sat 08-Nov-14 10:12:21

No the older cat goes out, he was using one until the cat flap was fitted a couple of weeks ago but he prefers outside.

cozietoesie Sat 08-Nov-14 10:16:45

Some cats are very particular about using a tray which has already been used - especially if it's by another cat or for a different function. The standard rule is, I'm afraid, one per cat plus one. (Within reason that is. Seniorboy has two though and uses both. He's old and a fussy blighter.)

curlyclaz13 Sat 08-Nov-14 11:45:22

Currently have one in the downstairs loo, which is off the utility room, I might be able to squeeze one in the utility, do you think that might be ok or are they going to be too close to each other ? In the previous house we had one upstairs and one downstairs but I really can't do that here.

cozietoesie Sat 08-Nov-14 11:54:00

I'd give that a try. Seniorboy (who sadly spent much of his life using one rather awful tray most of the time but has since become used to luxury and even comes to tell me that he's just used it to remind me to clean it PDQ) has one tray in one bedroom and one just across the upstairs hall at the door of another bedroom. That seems fine to him.

RubbishMantra Sat 08-Nov-14 12:57:41

To prevent toddler's being inquisitive about what's in the litter-tray, you can get hooded ones.

I'd keep a litter-tray available to use even in the summer, sometimes cats don't want to do their business outside, say if a there's a cat outside they feel threatened by, or if they're feeling off-colour.

cozietoesie Sat 08-Nov-14 13:19:33

The Lodger just came to prefer it and he brought himself up on the street. I don't blame him, either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now