Talk

Advanced search

Cats & Fireworks

(25 Posts)
givemushypeasachance Wed 05-Nov-14 10:25:28

We've been having some fireworks in the neighbourhood on and off over the past week. My two boys generally haven't seemed that bothered when the bangs are quite distant or not too loud, though last Friday there was a series of ridiculously loud shots nearby that practically rattled the windows. I jumped out of my skin myself and both cats (who were thankfully inside by this part of the evening) shot under the bed to hide.

As it's the 5th tonight I was planning to encourage both cats in when I get home from work and to instill an early curfew, since I'd rather any more close-range firework freakouts were limited to hiding indoors and not running around in a panic outside. They have a Feliway diffuser at the moment anyway leftover from me going on holiday. Is there anything else people do to keep their cats calm on bonfire night? I've heard some suggestion of playing music or having the TV on as a distraction - do you find that helps?

I'm never sure whether to actively try to comfort them or leave them be - whether my attempts to soothe them actually just worry them more and they'd be happier left alone to hide until it quietens down... sad Fingers crossed after tonight the worst will be over and people won't hang on to have a load more displays next weekend as well!

cozietoesie Wed 05-Nov-14 11:07:08

I certainly ignore dogs - they're much better if they think you're unconcerned by the bangs - but cats are more their own creatures than dogs in my experience. I do put a movie or music on so that it can act as a sort of white noise and then leave them to it - although always ensuring that they have a warm safe place to go to if they want. And I usually stay in with them.

Personally, I'd keep the early curfew if I were you - or certainly for a good few days. A 5th November on a Wednesday often means that the 'real' local fireworks are on Friday or Saturday when people feel they can have a full party etc. (And bad weather can make that almost a certainty - is it to rain with you tonight?)

givemushypeasachance Wed 05-Nov-14 11:18:32

Currently looking like fine weather tonight and heavy showers Friday/Saturday, maybe that'll put some of them off! I know it's a perpetual wish but wouldn't it be so much easier for people to take pet/child/etc precautions if all the fireworks were limited to one or two nights instead of being spread over the best part of two weeks...

cozietoesie Wed 05-Nov-14 11:27:53

I'm actually less worried about people having firework parties in their back gardens (which are usually fairly predictable) than I am by local youth getting hold of free or cheap fireworks and having 'fun' with them in local parks or building sites. (I had a friend some years back whose dog was spooked by a firework being set off nearby in some woods while they were walking their animals and they never saw the dog again.)

Hopefully, the increasing restrictions on sale will soon make that a thing of the past.

AnotherEmma Wed 05-Nov-14 15:55:20

We have two kittens and they're indoors atm as they're too small to go out yet (11 weeks old, they have a vet appointment next week for their second vaccination and microchip - I might start letting them into the garden for brief supervised stints after that!)

There is a big fireworks display tonight which I had been planning to go to, but it has occurred to me that the kittens might be frightened... should I stay home with them instead? DH says they will probably just hide and won't mind whether we're home or not. I think they might be happier if at least one of us is around... What do you think, MNers?!

cozietoesie Wed 05-Nov-14 16:01:42

Personally, I'd leave some sound on - and go. (Depending on your neighbourhood - is it likely to be very very bangy round your house?)

PigletJohn Wed 05-Nov-14 17:03:36

maybe give them a box with a worn garment inside it, in a corner away from windows, so they can hide, and leave the TV on?

AnotherEmma Wed 05-Nov-14 17:04:56

We moved a couple of months ago so I don't know if there are likely to be many fireworks on our street. There seem to be a few families so they might have some - or they might just go to the big display which is family-friendly and not too far away (but hopefully far enough not to terrify the kittens!)

They will probably be fine - I'm just worrying - I guess this is a small inkling of how motherhood feels?!

PigletJohn Wed 05-Nov-14 17:15:57

you have to look after your babies!

cozietoesie Wed 05-Nov-14 17:24:56

That looks like something from Aliens ! What the heck is it?

cozietoesie Wed 05-Nov-14 17:26:13

(Bang, Bang, Thud outside and Seniorboy is paying it no mind. (I have a movie on though.))

PigletJohn Wed 05-Nov-14 17:29:34

Amazonian woodlouse perhaps? Or sea creature?

PigletJohn Wed 05-Nov-14 17:37:03

Giant Isopod

givemushypeasachance Wed 05-Nov-14 20:02:57

Thankfully both my two were about when I got home so I could shut them in straight away - it was 5:15 and not even fully dark but the banging had started. It's been pretty much continuous since then - I'm in Bristol so pretty built up residential area.

Rolo has gone for hiding under the bed but Monty isn't hugely bothered, he's still sleeping out in one of his favourite dens. Radios or music on and curtains all shut in each room, think they're doing pretty well really. Hopefully tonight will be the worst of it.

CMP69 Wed 05-Nov-14 20:09:58

Mine are shut in freaked. They were both under the sofa (ultimate place of safety) when I got in from work. Mrcat has come out and is sitting looking forlornly at me, but has had some tea. Mrscat is currently under the dining table and hasn't eaten. Not normal for the world's fattest cat sad

cozietoesie Wed 05-Nov-14 20:22:49

Have you any familiar noise on, CMP69 ? (Music/movies etc.)

CMP69 Wed 05-Nov-14 20:31:51

Yes telly on. They are 12 so sadly this is normal for the 10-14 day period at this time of year. They don't get any better sad

cozietoesie Wed 05-Nov-14 20:46:48

Achh. Cats like their routine so much. I've just gone to bed with the laptop and a movie or three and am staying with Seniorboy. (Who is luckily flat out and snoring through the ever-increasing bangs.)

How is the weather to be with you? (We have a fine night tonight but loads of rain coming our way over the next week or so - which will hopefully cool ardour.)

timtam23 Wed 05-Nov-14 21:03:12

My cat hasn't been too bothered up until today, but daft DH let him go out tonight just before we headed off to the local fireworks display. I wasn't best pleased but as there was no sign of him I had to leave him. The bangs are all at a distance but there are a lot of them and the traffic around here is heavier tonight due to the local displays.
There seemed to be no sign of him when we got back & I was pretty worried but he has turned up in the understairs cupboard. He must have come back in while we were out & gone to hide in there. Poor boy, this is his first proper Bonfire Night as he was only a few months old last November and was kept inside. He does like the cupboard though, he sleeps in there quite a bit so I think he sees it as a secure safe place.

cozietoesie Wed 05-Nov-14 21:31:28

He'll be fine. As long as they have a safe place to go to and it stays safe then they're generally OK.

cozietoesie Wed 05-Nov-14 21:33:41

Everything is dying down round here now. There are still distant big bangs but the whirling and screeching things which were eliciting lots of joyful children's shrieks seem to have all been used up.

cozietoesie Wed 05-Nov-14 21:42:28

I spoke too soon.

timtam23 Wed 05-Nov-14 21:55:34

Duds came out & sat on my lap but the bangs restarted & he's now back in the cupboard after running around low to the ground with his ears back sad
The weather is due to be less good at the end of the week so hopefully Friday/Saturday should not be so bad

cozietoesie Wed 05-Nov-14 21:59:59

You may be like us. The parents and kids all seemed to go in, there was a bit of a lull and then the teenagers came out with whizzy things. They seem a little bit short on stamina though. (Or maybe it's the lure of the inside.)

givemushypeasachance Wed 05-Nov-14 23:24:04

All over with here finally, and now it's quiet I've been having some indoor playtime with the boys in the futile hope that they then might sleep through a bit more - otherwise I suspect Rolo in particular will be very insistent about wanting to be let out at an ungodly hour, since he hasn't had his usual evening adventuring time. Not before 7am! I wish they made those gro-clocks for cats... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now