Talk

Advanced search

pregnant stray ; what can we do

(23 Posts)
Gatekeeper Tue 04-Nov-14 10:00:01

we seem to be a magnet for strays every autumn! Two years ago a silver tabby adopted us in as much she allowed us to feed her. We managed to trap her and got her spayed; vet reckoned she was around 12 months old and had already had a least one litter sad. Last year a black entire tomcat came calling and we feed him- both cats 'live' in our summer house as we put a cat flap in there and there are several beds to snooze in

This year we have noticed a black and white female who is obviously pregnant. Over the last few days she has come for food around ten times a day and although she runs off at the sight of us she comes back after a few minutes and eats the food I put out

I don't have access to the trap anymore and just wondered what I should do other than keep feeding her? Can't have her or the kittens in the house as much as I would love to as dh is very, very allergic. Any advice please?

PinkSparklyElephant Tue 04-Nov-14 10:46:34

Would a local rescue lend you a trap?

Madcatgirl Tue 04-Nov-14 10:47:28

Cats protection might have a trap and then help you rehome her and the kittens.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 04-Nov-14 13:18:26

A rescue might have a trap. She must be so hungry.

You're very kind to feed her. Lots wouldn't.

Gatekeeper Tue 04-Nov-14 14:38:47

right then; have emailed a couple of local cat rescues and see what they can do. Her belly is pretty big so she must be almost due...worried about her lying in a ditch somewhere and then abandoning the kittens sad

cozietoesie Tue 04-Nov-14 14:49:21

And the weather is lousy at this time of year - here at any rate, although I don't know what it's to be like with you.

CPL should help. They've certainly assisted several posters on this board with the loan of a trap.

Best of luck.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 04-Nov-14 15:15:26

She'll try and nest somewhere. How do the other cats behave to her?.

Gatekeeper Tue 04-Nov-14 15:26:30

she is scared of the black tom but hisses and lashes out at the tabby female esp if she goes near the food bowl

isseywithcats Wed 05-Nov-14 22:47:10

you could provide a shelter of some sort for her a big box on its side covered in plastic with straw inside not blankets as they absorb the damp from the air, if she takes to it she will probably have the kittens in it but if she does dont be tempted to go near it as she will move the kits so you wont find them and just feed her away from the box will be ok till a rescue can trap her and if that happens you will at least know where they can get the kittens from

LouiseBrooks Wed 05-Nov-14 22:52:32

In the past I had two strays in my garden at different times. I contacted local rescues and they left me a trap and came and took the cats away each time within a few hours of them getting into the trap. I was skint the first time it happened but the second time I did give the rescue enough money to spay and vaccinate the stray.

thecatneuterer Wed 05-Nov-14 22:52:36

No luck with getting a trap? Have any of the rescues been back in touch?

Gatekeeper Thu 06-Nov-14 09:22:58

no-one has been in touch; have emailed them twice and also left messages on answerphone but nothing yet

cozietoesie Thu 06-Nov-14 11:17:53

Fingers crossed for you Gatekeeper - but just in case she's near her time, have you or a neighbour got a big box around that could be prepared as issey said?

Gatekeeper Thu 06-Nov-14 13:25:33

will ask dh to bring a selection of boxes home! Not seen her since Tuesday night though

cozietoesie Thu 06-Nov-14 13:36:05

Maybe someone has already taken her in ? Let's hope so, anyway.

tipsytrifle Thu 06-Nov-14 14:09:59

It's possible she has had the kits. When she has them settled she will probably come looking for food at yours, if she hasn't found somewhere else. All you can do is keep feeding her, offer her a space of her own in the garden and hope she brings the kits there. That way at least you know what's going on. Be prepared, though, kitten mortality is high. I've had a tragic summer with a feral litter.

If she returns and if she brings the kits then, and only then, is it time to think about trying to trap. No point for now as kits need her, no matter how bad the weather gets.

Ideally you will find a small local charity/rescue that will work with you and help with it all. That's how I sorted out - over 18mths - a feral colony pretty much behind my house. Heartbreaking, isn't it?

tipsytrifle Thu 06-Nov-14 14:12:06

Bunny hutches (old giveaway one?) make brilliant cat shelters ... one a mum cat might happily bring her kits to when it's full of straw and old blankets...

Gatekeeper Thu 06-Nov-14 16:36:48

left the back door open whilst getting washing in, turned round and there she was, sitting on the door matsmile. I very slowly got some cat nosh out and she chirrupped and meowed at me, backing off as I got close but I put the plate down and let her eat. Tum still big

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 06-Nov-14 16:38:44

Good, she must be getting near now though. Does she look like she's swallowed a barrell yet?.

Gatekeeper Thu 06-Nov-14 20:14:41

Looking barrel like indeed <knows the feeling>!

cozietoesie Thu 06-Nov-14 20:19:49

Did DH bring the boxes back?

Gatekeeper Fri 07-Nov-14 08:51:53

we have boxes! Will gaffa tape some thick polythene to outside as it is raining stair rods here. I have old newspapers, a bit of lino and will try and get some straw from bloke with horses two doors away

tipsytrifle Fri 07-Nov-14 08:54:40

If you can make her a hideaway close to the house you may well find she takes up residence. Whatever your plans for her long term are, for now it would be wonderful if she would trust you to look after her. Good to encourage her just through the back door - is exactly how I built the trust with little feral Jet.

She had her kits elsewhere, moved them to the bunny hutch and then, just as I was wondering if I should move kits into house and hope she follows (they were starting to move around by then and I didn't want them loose) she picked them all up in one go and hurtled into the house with them! Awesome.

Thank you for doing this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now