Talk

Advanced search

Help needed with 4 year old rescue boy

(8 Posts)
washngo Tue 04-Nov-14 08:00:23

We got our 4 year old male neutered rescue cat about 5 monta ago. CPL described him as "a perfect family cat". I think they thought this because he's really playful and loves being around people. But he is soo playful sometimes the children (6,4 and 1) are a bit scared of him. He races around, tearin up and down the stairs, swipes from underneath chairs, pounces on us etc. Also recently he has started a really odd behaviour. When he is hungry and knows its feeding time he sort of bites my leg. Always in exactly the same place, mid calf right leg. He opens his jaw really wide and kind of wraps it round my leg! He doesn't hurt me but I don't particularly want to encourage it! Any tips on discouraging this and helping him calm down? I should say, he's an outdoor cat, hunts a LOT, out a lot, but gets crazy when it is wet outside!!

cozietoesie Tue 04-Nov-14 08:55:11

He sounds as if he needs considerably more stimulation. What games are you all playing with him/does he play himself?

washngo Tue 04-Nov-14 09:19:45

I know but I am so snowed under with the children! I'm struggling to keep my head above the water tbh! 1 year old doesn't sleep, 4 year old is having tantrums, 6 year old is great but doesn't get enough attention. We have a few toys which we throw for him and he likes playing with cardboard boxes. When it's nice weather he's out all night, sleeps in the day a lot, pops in and out of the house to say hi.

cozietoesie Tue 04-Nov-14 09:35:09

You do sound a bit snowed under.

I'm afraid I've temporarily lost my link to environmental enrichment for cats (I'll put it up for you when I find it) but you could google on that phrase and see some of the articles when (if!) you get 10 minutes free. I'd try to make some time because the winter is stretching ahead of you and it's going to be cold and wet outside with not much doing so he'll potentially be stir crazy if he's an active sort.

All those articles should give you an idea of the sorts of things to look for to improve his environment.

One thing - does he get dried food at all? If so, I'd give it to him in a forage toy feeder. (Kibble balls are pretty cheap and easily available if you're not up to making a toy yourself.)

washngo Tue 04-Nov-14 13:06:33

Thank you will look into that!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 04-Nov-14 13:21:48

When he bites you don't feed him for another 10 minutes, put him out of the room if you can.

Otherwise he equates biting with you getting a move on with food bowl & thinks excellent, I'll do that next time too.

Pouncing & swiping is normal play. Does he go out?.

cozietoesie Tue 04-Nov-14 13:34:13

Here's one to start off with.

RubbishMantra Wed 05-Nov-14 17:14:56

these are brilliant for active cats, tires them right out. Because it's a fishing rod type toy, your 6yo will be able to wave it around for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now