Talk

Advanced search

Kitty out in the cold!

(18 Posts)
Stars66 Mon 03-Nov-14 22:23:26

Brrrrrrr it's freezing tonight and my kitty is nowhere to be seenconfused
I've had a cat flap put in last week and am just training her to use it. She's getting it slowly, but only when it's propped open.
Anyway, I have to go to bed and she's not in and hasn't come running like she usually does (I've been put loads in last hour calling /rattling food/keys/ snacks).
She's only 10 months, spayed but still small.
Tell me she'll be fine!

Stars66 Mon 03-Nov-14 22:24:03

I've not left it open, I don't want any unwanted guests!

Sparklingbrook Mon 03-Nov-14 22:25:15

So if she comes back she can't get in?

timtam23 Mon 03-Nov-14 22:29:49

I would leave it propped open...if she is not confident at using it she may not be able to get back in, and she is still quite young (although probably just off having a good old explore & will be back soon!)

Stars66 Mon 03-Nov-14 22:31:25

It's on the in only setting.
I keep imagining I can hear her and checkingshock

cozietoesie Mon 03-Nov-14 22:32:13

If she's not trained to open it, you have to leave it open.

What if she makes a dash for safety from a predator and can't get in? Or is trying to get back home after being a little injured, say, from a car?

I'm afraid that it goes with the territory.

thecatneuterer Mon 03-Nov-14 22:36:48

Definitely leave it propped open for her if she hasn't learned to use it yet. What sort of unwanted guests are you worried about?

Stars66 Tue 04-Nov-14 06:47:07

Was worried about rats! 2 gardens along are hoarders, it's like a breeding groundshock

She made it back around 3, dirty stop out!! She's obviously having too much fun exploring!wink

cozietoesie Tue 04-Nov-14 08:38:33

Little hussy!

(Glad she's back.)

Stars66 Tue 04-Nov-14 21:47:45

Call me an overprotective mummy but I locked the flap from 5. I don't want to be outside worrying about her again all through the night. oh god how is my DD ever going to be let out?

cozietoesie Tue 04-Nov-14 22:46:03

I've always kept my cats in (if I can) from dusk to dawn on safety grounds. It's part of the deal and they've all accepted it with good grace once they realized that they still did get out after breakfast every day. It very quickly became part of their routine.

Now DDs are another matter!

grin

cozietoesie Tue 04-Nov-14 22:49:01

PS - you've still got a tray out for her to use have you? You don't need accidents at three in the morning.

Stars66 Wed 05-Nov-14 22:01:29

Yep tray still there. And that's the routine I want.

Am really pissed off with OH, he let her out at about 5 (I've been out at fireworks with dd) and kitty hasn't returned.
Just given him the lecture about fireworks night being the worst time for animals. Been calling her for ages and still no return. I'm shattered so flap is propped open and I hope I'll wake up with her here.hmm

cozietoesie Wed 05-Nov-14 22:05:18

Good luck and I hope you don't have to stay up too late.

Maybe start the routine tomorrow so that she doesn't think the new regime is her being allowed to be a dirty stop-out?

cozietoesie Thu 06-Nov-14 08:37:30

Did she return OK?

Stars66 Fri 07-Nov-14 21:13:39

Thanks for asking Cosietoes!
She came back very early morning and I've been trying routine since! I have still been taping open cat flap in the day, but this eve after I'd locked she was trying to push the door. So I'm hoping she's sussed out how to get it to work!

Stars66 Fri 07-Nov-14 21:15:38

Thanks for asking Cosietoes!
She came back very early morning and I've been trying routine since! I have still been taping open cat flap in the day, but this eve after I'd locked she was trying to push the door. So I'm hoping she's sussed out how to get it to work!

cozietoesie Sat 08-Nov-14 08:19:32

It wouldn't surprise me at all - after all, what's the point of having a human and trying to do any work yourself if you can get away with the human doing it? (She sounds like a little madam. grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now