Talk

Advanced search

Mice and rat poison. .. why isn't it banned?

(13 Posts)
alltoomuchrightnow Sun 02-Nov-14 20:07:31

I keep seeing Facebook posts urging people not to use it, as it kills owls who eat poisoned mice.
So I assume it can just as easily kill cat or dog, especially v small ones?
Why isn't this banned?
It makes me too scared to ever think of letting my kitten out, and we live in the countryside too, (but with neighbours) ; but I'd feel a bit neurotic to go round knocking on all the doors to ask if they use it! How big a risk is it?

thecatneuterer Mon 03-Nov-14 22:35:13

It is a risk and yes it can also kill cats that eat poisoned mice. I would try not to worry too much though, but should your kitten ever seem sick, don't procrastinate about going to the vet just in case.

Country roads also seem to be more of a danger than city ones, particularly at night. So I wouldn't let your cat out at night.

How old is he/she? Has he/she been neutered yet?

alltoomuchrightnow Tue 04-Nov-14 14:12:53

four months today, not neutered yet
We live in the middle of nowhere, so, are country roads, however, it would be a long walk to get to them. Roads where we actually live are 20MPH

alltoomuchrightnow Tue 04-Nov-14 14:13:07

(with some speed bumps)

alltoomuchrightnow Tue 04-Nov-14 14:14:15

you say about vet if suspect a cat ate one...
how do they reverse that? i thought there was nothing they could do re poison?

CleaninQueen Tue 04-Nov-14 15:34:02

Humane traps were proven not to keep mice/rats out as they come back. People never get 1 mouse there's always loads. We poison them as they won't leave otherwise.

PfftTheMagicDraco Tue 04-Nov-14 16:31:41

There aren't any owls, nor any of your kittens in my garage. That's where I put it. We tried humane traps, they don't work. Lots of things are poisonous when used incorrectly.

Contraryish Tue 04-Nov-14 16:42:03

Because there is no other reliable way of eliminating vermin apart, ironically, from owning a cat. Banning it would see the countryside overrun with rats and mice. Would that be preferable to you?

My experience also shows that cats will not eat things that are already dead, so the risk is very slim.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 04-Nov-14 19:08:04

There are actually treatments for the most common rat and mice poisons, we regularly see dogs that have eaten the poison. The vast majority are successfully treated.

alltoomuchrightnow Tue 04-Nov-14 20:51:42

what is the name of the treatment, Lonecatwithkitten? how long do you have to get to the vet?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 04-Nov-14 20:58:02

Rather fancily vitamin K ( much higher doses than you can get over the counter) I have successfully treated over 7 days post ingestion, but the quicker you get there the better.

alltoomuchrightnow Tue 04-Nov-14 22:10:08

thanks good to know.

Hakluyt Tue 04-Nov-14 22:15:15

I hate using poison. But if I didn't, the horse's feed would be full of rodent pee. And there wouldn't be much feed left......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now