Talk

Advanced search

feliway for setting new cats

(13 Posts)
KareninsGirl Sun 02-Nov-14 20:01:01

Another thread, sorry!

Has anyone used feliway as a tool to help rescue cats settle into their new home? We are collecting two 7 month olds tomorrow and want them to feel as happy as possible so was considering getting a diffuser?

alltoomuchrightnow Sun 02-Nov-14 20:21:30

yes it worked a treat on my friend's nursing cats and their kittens. Then my mother and me took a kitten each. My DM uses one with great results with her kitten, who settled in right from day one

juneybean Sun 02-Nov-14 21:11:22

I used the cheaper one Pet Remedy and found it works well but smells a bit. (Apparently it can destress humans too!)

alltoomuchrightnow Sun 02-Nov-14 21:23:52

oooh not heard of it!!! must look into if helps humans too!

KareninsGirl Sun 02-Nov-14 21:49:40

Thanks for your replies smile

So...pet remedy works just as well do you think? Is there a significant price difference between that and feliway?

juneybean Sun 02-Nov-14 22:17:35

I've never used feliway so it could well be amazing but pet rememdy is £20 compared to £39 for feliway at pets at home

juneybean Sun 02-Nov-14 22:18:05

Ack sorry kitten sat on me trying to get to my chocolate!

givemushypeasachance Sun 02-Nov-14 22:38:34

I used Feliway on my two rescue boys this summer - wanted to try to help them settle particularly since one of them was very timid. I don't know whether it worked or not since I don't know how they would have been without it, but I can recommend buying refills online as the cheapest way to get it. Pets at home is a bloody rip-off, you can get the refills for as little as £17 including postage on amazon or cheaper than that on some other websites (e.g. vetuk where it's free delivery if you spend more than £29, so if you buy a few items it's worth it).

passthecheese Mon 03-Nov-14 10:12:58

We used feliway after our rescue cat had sown the first 24 hours under the sofa. Tbf he had come out at 4:30am and was v friendly but by 7 had retreated back under. Got feliway from local vet at 5pm by 6:30pm cat was out and being friendly downstairs.

He is a very timid cat, despite being huge, but he's also friendly and affectionate with his family. He was about 5 when we got him and his sister, after 2 years in a rescue centre.

His sister is generally much braver with people. Under the sofa is still his safe place.

givemushypeasachance Mon 03-Nov-14 13:43:59

That's very sweet passthecheese - my timid boy favours under the bed as his hiding spot particularly if visitors are around, and in the first few months he often choose to sleep in one of the drawers of the divan!

ChickenMe Tue 04-Nov-14 18:10:14

Hi we got Feliway a lot cheaper on Amazon. So far we have only had it a few weeks. Our cat, a siamese, cleans excessively and due to her upbringing she is anxious. Plus I'm pregnant and this might not be helping !!
I have noticed her rubbing her face against things a lot more since we got the plug in. This is meant to be a good sign! She's also been talking more but she talks a lot anyway!!

KareninsGirl Tue 04-Nov-14 20:39:51

Well I must say, I'm rather impressed! The kitties have settled beautifully, have eaten, drank, used litter tray, are cuddling up to us and generally acting as though they have always been here smile

would definitely recommend Feliway x

Madcats Tue 04-Nov-14 20:55:33

Feliway didn't see to make any difference to our 2 Siamese (now 10) when we tried it for various reasons over the years (spray/diffuser/different locations)

One of our old boys had surgery last week and was super-fearful...not eating...almost impossible to grab to give painkillers and antibiotics without stressing further....he was getting dangerously thin

I was initially researching Bachs Flower (felt sure I had some in the house....somewhere...knew it could be used on pets...not sure how) . I ended up ordering Pet Remedy diffuser. (Amazon delivered it to me on a Sunday!).

Maybe it is a coincidence; maybe our cat is no longer in pain....but wow!

Just to warn ChickenMe, our cats DEFINITELY knew I was pregnant before I did (they developed a slight obsession with trying to get in the bathroom with me...never lost it) and were terrified of me (even alone) when I came home with baby DD.

FWIW our little kittens spent a week on a shelf, venturing out to use the litter tray. We gave them plenty of space and let them decide whether to come to us for a couple of weeks. We couldn't wish for more personable cats. One insists on being carried about all day if possible and the other flops over your feet to get his tummy rubbed!

Less is more, when settling in tiny kittens

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now