Talk

Advanced search

Cat losing weight

(12 Posts)
EnlightenedOwl Sun 02-Nov-14 17:44:08

Cat is 13 and a bit, black and white tom
At annual check in May weight was 5.3kg down from 5.5kg
Had his weight checked yesterday by vet nurse and he has gone down to 4.89kg
Seems well in himself, wants to eat, not drinking excessively only thought is some of his poo is a bit soft but not runny
he is booked in to see the vet next week - any thoughts on what may be wrong?

lemisscared Sun 02-Nov-14 17:47:12

get the vet to have a feel for his thyroid. How is his coat looking? does he look like he has lost much weight, that doesn't seem much but of course, you don't have as much to spare when you only weigh 5k in the first place smile

EnlightenedOwl Sun 02-Nov-14 17:49:38

No its not dramatic is it? Nurse said that yesterday so not too worried. I am wondering about thyroid or poss kidneys, not sure. In all senses seems happy enough but guess might need a blood test to rule things out or in.

lemisscared Sun 02-Nov-14 17:57:16

I think if he's happy then leave him be, would need two separate blood tests for thyroid and kidneys (is thyroid included on full blood profile?) and if only mildly hyperthyroid wont show. Both thyroid and kidney affect the coat, thyroid irrc makes the coat dry and tends to moult more wheras kidney issues make the coat "starey" which is sort of greasy and sticky uppy. A hyper-thyroid cat will eat loads and still loose weight, have an elevated heart rate and tend to be agitated.

It could just be his age, so muscle tone not what it was, eating slightly less.

I'd keep an eye on him, assume he was wormed at check up? and see how he goes, but i'd not be overly worried if he were mine.

EnlightenedOwl Sun 02-Nov-14 18:01:40

the funny part is we always used to get told off for him being o/weight and now he's at an ideal weight we're still not happy - poor lad!

Selks Sun 02-Nov-14 20:50:57

Could indicate dental problems, the vet will probably check this (certainly should do).

Madcats Sun 02-Nov-14 22:24:51

If he can bear going to the vet, please take him. We were delighted to watch our chunky cat lose a bit of weight..watching him get thinner...and a bit thinner. When we spotted he was getting a bit too thin, we realised we should have sorted it a couple of months ago.

Just spent ££'s to get extractions thanks to an abscess and general decay (okay last annual injection). We've had plenty of blood tests too, but the poor lad was gradually eating less and we just didn't figure that he was in pain.

EnlightenedOwl Sun 02-Nov-14 22:42:13

His teeth were fine at last check and he had dental work done last year.
I will take him to the vet - appointment made next Saturday - if only to rule things in or out. Just wanted to get a few ideas although appreciate there could be many things behind this.
Thanks for all suggestions and advice xx

Madcats Mon 03-Nov-14 20:49:32

Just thinking about our current "blank cheque to the vet" (hoping it was just teeth), I had assumed that Thyroid was included in the standard blood for an elderly cat but they wanted an extra £35 for that.

The other cat became super-stressed 5 years ago when he encountered builders (and fibreglass), but also had an arthritis flare up. He bounces about now.

cozietoesie Mon 03-Nov-14 21:04:20

Teeth can be a big problem in my view. (If you've ever had dental difficulties yourself, you'll know just how bad and tired/run down they make you feel - and I should imagine it's little different for a cat.) He may get something else but at least you know dental problems are largely out of the way.

EnlightenedOwl Sun 23-Nov-14 11:24:39

I'll update this now..

We had full bloods done. Nothing showed up. (That included renal and thyroid). Vet advice just to keep an eye for now regular weight checks. He has actually put a little bit of weight on in the last couple of weeks, so all good!

cozietoesie Sun 23-Nov-14 11:39:19

That's good to know. Best of luck to him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now