Talk

Advanced search

Best insurance recommendations please

(12 Posts)
KareninsGirl Sun 02-Nov-14 12:29:52

Hello fellow kitty lovers smile smile

we are due to collect out two 7 month old rescue kitties tomorrow, who come with 4 weeks' complimentary pet plan insurance.

We would like to look around for other insurance options for when this 4 weeks is up.

Who would you recommend? We would like best value for money, a small - ish excess only and something that will cover costs should the worst happen.

TIA x

chockbic Sun 02-Nov-14 12:33:34

Some of them do lifetime cover, so you're still protected when they are older.

hiddenhome Sun 02-Nov-14 14:11:14

I always use Petplan and I think they're the ones that vets prefer to deal with.

I pay £11 a month per cat and there's a £100 excess in each illness/accident.

All insurance schemes are probably a bit of a racket, but you can end up with a bill for thousands in the event of an accident or serious illness.

KareninsGirl Sun 02-Nov-14 16:03:33

Thank you.

hiddenhome, what do you get for £11 per month? is that lifetime cover? how much will they pay out per illness?

Thanks smile smile

hiddenhome Sun 02-Nov-14 17:20:12

I don't know for certain, I'd have to pull the policies out. I'm sure I have lifetime cover and I think it's up to £7,000 per illness/accident. Premiums do increase as the cat gets older, mine are just young.

KareninsGirl Sun 02-Nov-14 19:58:14

Thank you so much. do the premiums go up by much as they get older do you know? Sorry for all the questions!

hiddenhome Sun 02-Nov-14 21:22:35

I don't know because I've only ever had it on younger cats. My elderly cat has never been insured.

I overheard someone talking to the vet nurse in the vets on Friday and she seemed to think that Petplan puts there's up by quite a bit once the cat gets to age 9.

hiddenhome Sun 02-Nov-14 21:23:25

Sorry, theirs that should be.

KareninsGirl Sun 02-Nov-14 21:46:49

thanks thanks thank you

ok, will look at petplan too.

WalkingThePlank Wed 05-Nov-14 13:27:21

What sort of thing is not covered by the insurance? Presumably routine check-ups, vaccinations, etc are not covered so I'm wondering how much the non-insurable items would be in a normal year.

PinkSparklyElephant Wed 05-Nov-14 15:55:43

H was insured with Argos it started out at around £13 and gradually went up and up and this year's renewal was £30 a month. I couldn't afford it so I've switched to Animal Friends which is £12.34 a month. The cover is less but it's still pretty good.

Check ups, vaccinations and flea and worm treatment are the things that come to mind that aren't covered by insurance. We pay around £45 for vaccinations and H's annual check up, £40 every 6 months for Advocate and £18 every 6 months for Profender.

CattyCatCat Wed 05-Nov-14 16:36:30

All in all, I found Animal Friends to be the cheapest with the most comprehensive cover. I guess quotes will vary from person to person and animal to animal though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now