Talk

Advanced search

cat diarrhoea. Help!

(8 Posts)
mouselittle Tue 28-Oct-14 20:15:46

Have just noticed that my cat (11 years old) has had diarrhoea.
It looks like it's come on suddenly but he's been caught short just before reaching the cat flap. His tail and back legs are caked and I've washed it off as best I can in the sink.
He ate normally today, had a feed around 5pm so I think it's come on him soon after this.
I'm planning to take him to the vet tomorrow but what should I do meanwhile? Starve him?
What could have caused it?

Also maybe TMI but it was very watery and didn't smell like normal poo. It didn't have much smell at all.

IceRocket Tue 28-Oct-14 20:46:35

Poor thing, can you feed him only bland food, boiled chicken & rice until you see the vet. Do you have a litter tray or paper to put down just incase of any accidents & keep fresh water out too. Wait to see what the vet says, he could face eaten something that gas upset his tummy or could be a bacterial infection. If he has other symptoms, call the vets number they should have an emergency number on the answer machine if you need some advice. Hope he's better soon

ozymandiusking Tue 28-Oct-14 20:50:17

To stop him becoming dehydrated, put two teaspoons of water on his food,
as well as his normal saucer of water. If he drinks milk put that down as well

FuckyNell Tue 28-Oct-14 20:56:24

hope he gets better soon.

Tip a bottle of bleach around your sink though eh? Thanks.

grin

MyNameIsSuz Tue 28-Oct-14 21:02:01

My cat was exactly like this when she was constipated, hope the vet can sort you out!

mouselittle Tue 28-Oct-14 21:14:30

luckily the mess was all in the utility room which has a sink we only use for cleaning shoes, cat things etc. It has been thoroughly doused in bleach.
not much fun trying to control a struggling cat with shitty water flying everywhere grin
he seems fine in himself. I will leave a litter box out for him tonight and give him a small amount to eat. will cat biscuits or meat be ok? I don't have anything bland that a cat would eat!

FuckyNell Tue 28-Oct-14 23:25:31

I wouldn't give anything tonight and see what occurs in the morning

mouselittle Fri 31-Oct-14 21:31:16

update: took cat to the vet the following day and he was fine. The vet took his temperature and advised starving him for a short period if the diarrhoea recurred.
He seemed fine yesterday and today but I have just noticed he is quite dirty at the back end tonight so it looks like he's had another episode. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now