Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My kitten has a heart murmur.

(22 Posts)
hiddenhome Wed 15-Oct-14 15:07:11

Just arrived back from her first visit to the vets for vaccinations and microchip.

The vet sounded her heart and detected a murmur. He said he will check it again when I return for her second injection.

He said it might just disappear in that time as they're quite common.

Poor Pearl sad

chockbic Wed 15-Oct-14 15:08:36

Aw try not to worry, it may well right itself in time.

hiddenhome Wed 15-Oct-14 15:10:28

I hope so. She seems well in herself and is bouncy and eating.

YoniMitchell Wed 15-Oct-14 15:11:47

Indeed it might sort itself out. Our lovely old cat is a ripe old 15years and had a heart murmur picked-up about 4-5 years ago, she's still going strong, even for an old girl!

Try not to worry.

chockbic Wed 15-Oct-14 15:12:00

I was surprised at how fast their hearts go!

hiddenhome Wed 15-Oct-14 15:15:44

Yes, I could feel her heart through her chest when he was listening to it. Ninety to the dozen. I knew he'd found something because he was listening for ages.

Perhaps it'll right itself.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 15-Oct-14 15:16:11

I had an odd thing where I had an undiagnosed heart murmur picked up (aged abput 30), and then the next day so did my cat.

A heart murmur really just means an odd sound as the blood moves through the heart chambers. Some heart murmurs are totally fine - it's just that atypical sound, and others could signify a problem. Murmurs are quite common too.

So, try not to worry, it could even be that it disappears as you say, or it stays with her but matters not a jot as it is one that has no other issues. Fingers crossed

StickEm Wed 15-Oct-14 15:17:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Taffeta Wed 15-Oct-14 15:20:46

Our kitten who we got from Battersea had a heart murmur detected a week after we chose him. We had to wait two weeks for him, and they asked if we still wanted him. They explained that the murmur disappears with lots of kittens.

We definitely still wanted him. grin A month later, the heart murmur had disappeared. He's now a healthy four yo, who has just this minute brought me a dead mouse. hmm

cozietoesie Wed 15-Oct-14 15:26:25

Seniorboy has a slight heart murmur but his vet doesn't worry about it - and he's looking better and better to make his 20th birthday.

hiddenhome Wed 15-Oct-14 18:14:04

StickEm hope your kitty is okay and you get good news.

Glad to hear they're not a disaster if detected.

Wadingthroughsoup Wed 15-Oct-14 18:16:52

Awww, poor Pearl sad Our vet found a heart murmur in our kitten too- he is two years old now and absolutely fine albeit utterly stupid and gets into scrapes all the time. Hopefully Pearl will be too.

StickEm Wed 15-Oct-14 20:25:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hiddenhome Wed 15-Oct-14 20:31:07

That's great, glad he's well grin

hiddenhome Wed 05-Nov-14 17:02:28

Oh dear, I've just heard that one of Pearl's litter mates has had to be put to sleep due to kidney failure sad

I'm worrying about what we've taken on sad

She gets her second injection and a checkup this week. She's eating well, but seems small for her age.

cozietoesie Wed 05-Nov-14 17:13:13

There are so many possible causes of kidney failure that I wouldn't second guess the check up. How is she doing at the moment?

hiddenhome Wed 05-Nov-14 17:20:03

Just doing the usual kitten stuff.

hiddenhome Wed 05-Nov-14 17:20:49

Just doing the usual kitten stuff.

cozietoesie Wed 05-Nov-14 17:22:55

Mention it to the vet then during the checkup - also some cats and kittens are smaller than others. Do you know her breeding? (And was her Mum to be spayed by the owner?)

hiddenhome Wed 05-Nov-14 17:26:04

Her mum has now been spayed. Her mum does seem small as well. Apparently Pearl was the runt of the litter, but I just found out.

InfinitySeven Wed 05-Nov-14 17:27:27

I had a kitten with a heart murmur. She had monthly check-ups until she was 2. Nothing changed. Then her vet changed to twice a year. When she was 5, the murmur had worsened. She started Vetmedin. She lived to be 19, on vetmedin wrapped in ham every morning.

I wouldn't worry. Do have it checked so you can start meds if you need too.

NeedaDiscoNap Wed 05-Nov-14 17:39:05

My cat had a heart murmur, it really is very common and mostly nothing to worry about. She is now 7 and has always been well. Just get the vet to check her whenever you are in for other things like vaccinations. My cat was very tiny too as a kitten ( I had to hand feed her with a pipette) and was the runt of the litter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now