Talk

Advanced search

Draught proofing on cat flaps

(8 Posts)
deweydells Mon 13-Oct-14 20:00:11

I'm adopting a cat and have just bought a Sureflap magnetic flap with draught proofing. I've just got it out of the box and there's a small gap all the way around the door. There is a tiny strip of draught proofing material but I can feel a draught coming through if I blow on it.

The only place I can put the flap is in our patio doors next to the sofa. Will I be able to feel a gale blowing through it all winter? Does anyone have a recommendation for a flap with better draught proofing?

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 13-Oct-14 20:08:38

I can feel even the slightest draft. I never feel one from the Sureflap.

deweydells Mon 13-Oct-14 20:14:31

Thanks Lonecat. That's reassuring. I hate being cold!

DontCallMeBaby Mon 13-Oct-14 20:17:25

Hm, there is a tiny tiny draft coming through our SureFlap at the moment. It's in the kitchen though, and in our previous house was in the conservatory, so not too much of a problem. Not sure I'd want it next to the sofa, but likewise not sure a catflap could be any more draft proof without being difficult for a cat to use! Is there really nowhere else it could go? Ours went through a wall rather than a door or window in the old house.

deweydells Mon 13-Oct-14 20:35:48

Not really! We live in a narrow terraced house. It could go in the front door but I don't want to encourage the cat to go out the front near the road. The patio doors take up practically the whole of the back of the house. There is a little bit of wall to one side but it is taken up with a radiator. I think I'm going to have to live with the draught.

Selks Mon 13-Oct-14 20:36:22

I do get a draught through my sureflap, but then I live on top of a windy hill in the Pennines, so any cat flap will be draughty where I am. At least the flap is not blowing horizontally inwards like on previous cat flaps!

The only other thing I can suggest is hang a thick door curtain inside the door, the cat will learn to go in and out with that in place and it should help with draughts.

deweydells Mon 13-Oct-14 21:29:58

Thanks, Selks. That sounds like the best plan.

witchcat61 Sun 19-Jun-16 07:37:54

I also have a draughty cat flap and my best solution was to buy a shower cap with good elastic and fix it to the whole cat flap. It puffs up like an air bag but it stops the cold wind. Puss will dislodge it when he comes in but its easy to put back on. My flap is locked after dark so its in place all night and stops a lot of cold air getting in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now