Advanced search

Mummy cat and her kits question

(7 Posts)
MrsExtraOrdinary Sat 12-Jul-14 08:18:55

Our cat has had her first and last litter of kittens. They are 4 weeks & 2 days. All has gone well until now.

Last night she moved 3 of the 4 into another bedroom on a lower floor. We put them back because it was probably the worst place in the house. Now she's dragged one down 2 floors into the main living area. I'm not sure this is very safe either.

Mummy is a bit stressed. Can I contain them in the original room they were all in? Or is she going to keep moving them. She's not moved them before.

And now the kits have decided they want to eat kitten food. Is it a bit early or shall I go with it ?

MrsExtraOrdinary Sat 12-Jul-14 08:20:28

In addition mummy is being a bit aggressive towards them. Bit concerned.

sashh Sat 12-Jul-14 08:32:58

If mum is stressed she will try to move them, I would go with containing them in one room.

Not sure on the food, you could try some food to see how they react.

cozietoesie Sat 12-Jul-14 09:09:46

Just lost a whole post - so you get the (truncated) second version. It all sounds OK, Mrs. I'd let her move them and let them eat the kitten food. (It sounds like the right timing.) I wouldn't worry too much about the slight aggression either - it might be down to stress but also Mum cats start to distance themselves from kits when they're weaning as part of the growing up process so a few closed claw biffs are to be expected.

Have a read of this.

Is she to be spayed soon? You're in the real danger period now for her heading out on the town to party.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 12-Jul-14 09:10:08

It sounds like something's spooked her.

cozietoesie Sat 12-Jul-14 09:15:06

It does, rather. (On the other hand, she could be wanting to park them in what she thinks is a real safe place before she puts on her make up and party clothes and heads out to the clubs!)

MrsExtraOrdinary Sat 12-Jul-14 12:35:27

Oh cozie you've put that very well. She is going to be spayed of course along with the 2 kittens we will keep. I was advised by the vet to wait until the kits were 8 wks at least and do them altogether.

She's fed up with being inside, but it's just tough at the moment. All the food is kitten food. So I'll start to put find down for the kits too as she doesn't want to feed them as much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now