Cat won't eat Aldi's cat food!

(30 Posts)
Scarletohello Tue 01-Jul-14 21:12:59

Went to Aldi's yesterday and bought a big box of their dry cat food. Cat normally has Purina Gocat and is quite happy with it. The brand from Aldi's is Vitacat. Should I persevere or is this just crap..? Had to give at some of my own dinner tonight ( liver ) as felt so guilty.

ReadyToBreak Tue 01-Jul-14 21:14:36

Have you tried adding warm water and making it all mushy?

My cats love the vitacat wet food pouches from Aldi!

Scarletohello Tue 01-Jul-14 21:15:50

No not tried adding water. Why would that help, does it make it taste better?

cozietoesie Tue 01-Jul-14 21:18:45

I seem to remember Fluffy (who uses Aldi's wet food I think) saying that they'd recently changed the formulation and her boy was turning his nose up at it. Maybe they've changed the dry as well?

youbethemummylion Tue 01-Jul-14 21:18:49

Depends how much you pander to your cat. In my house you eat what you are given if you dont eat it you get nothing else. This goes for kids, cat and dog.
The cat wont starve to death whilst ignoring food which is there however much she doesnt particularly fancy it.

IAmANightOwl Tue 01-Jul-14 21:19:07

My FIL used to feed his neighbours cat with the Lidl's version and even though I am not a cat, I always thought it looked unappetising! Is cost a reason you've changed brands or something else? Be careful it doesn't give your cat the runs as switching foods can often have that effect if its not gradually introduced!

Bakersbum Tue 01-Jul-14 21:21:08

Sorry I can't help, but it made me laugh, we're having a battle too but with the tinned food.

We are having to cut our cloth and get used to aldi, I don't see why the cats think they're too superior for it.

cozietoesie Tue 01-Jul-14 21:21:58

I have to pander to Seniorboy, I'm afraid. He's so elderly that if I didn't give him toothsome food, he'd just stop eating and fade away. (A younger cat, I'd hang much tougher.)

ReadyToBreak Tue 01-Jul-14 21:21:59

Scarletohello, it's something my vet suggested I tried when my girl was refusing food.

The warm water apparently helps release the smells more. It worked for fussy pants so might work for you?

Scarletohello Tue 01-Jul-14 21:32:17

I just tried mixing it with water, plonked the cat down next to it and he literally ran away! The Puravina Gocat stuff isn't expensive so may just have to go back to that. God knows what's in the Aldi stuff as this cat will eat pretty much anything!

ReadyToBreak Tue 01-Jul-14 21:59:25

Eeek. Best to give up and go back to a tried and tested food he will eat.

Goodluck!

ThisFenceIsComfy Tue 01-Jul-14 22:01:58

One way is to gradually introduce it so one night 95% normal 5% new food then every couple of days increase the percentages.

Scarletohello Tue 01-Jul-14 22:24:53

I'm not really bothered as it wasn't v expensive but I've just got a massive box of it now I'm gonna have to chuck away. ( I do wonder what's so bad about it tho that cat won't eat it...)

givemushypeasachance Wed 02-Jul-14 10:02:43

Do you have a local shelter nearby you could donate it to? Or a supermarket with one of those pet food donation bins? Rehoming places are always after donations of food and they may have some residents who are less fussy about the taste of Aldi! Or some people food banks accept donations of pet food to include in boxes for people with cats/dogs.

cozietoesie Wed 02-Jul-14 10:11:05

A local shelter is a good idea. (I suspect that the food banks/supermarket bins wouldn't be so successful because the box has been opened and they get edgy about product adulteration - I could be wrong though so happy to stand corrected.)

Scarletohello Wed 02-Jul-14 10:28:56

Good ideas about what to do with the stuff! Off to buy some more Gocat today...smile

I started shopping at Aldi but my cat refused to eat their food. I have given in and reverted back to Felix as I feel bad making her eat something she clearly doesn't like.

DS - tough luck, eat it or go hungry, haha smile

smokeandglitter Wed 02-Jul-14 13:37:13

Could you mix it with another food he likes? I used to do this to keep the cost down and it work (try one sachet first). Now I have to feed iams as it's the only thing that doesn't upset their tummies (house cats) - typical!

ReadyToBreak Wed 02-Jul-14 14:19:20

Cats are funny creatures, I have a freezer full of raw cat food from natural instinct that the blighters will not eat now.

One day they just decided they didn't want it anymore after wolfing it down for 3 months.

Scarletohello Wed 02-Jul-14 14:52:42

So just given puss Gocat. He wolfed it down so we're both happy now! smile

smokeandglitter Wed 02-Jul-14 14:58:18

Yay! Go kitty and scarletohello

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 02-Jul-14 16:15:32

They've changed recipes & not marked it on the label.

It's a pity, the tins were 9% protein, now it's 7% and it looks like crap.

My cat did try it but to be honest it didn't look nice at all.

QuizzicalCat Fri 04-Jul-14 15:56:32

Go cat is on offer in Asda at �1 a box.

FranHemming Fri 04-Jul-14 16:51:16

Sometimes I think you have to be persistent when changing cat food... they can be fussy but they'll get used to it smile

fussycats2016 Mon 18-Apr-16 15:49:23

Re Aldi dry food, my three rescue pets would not eat it, so rather than waste my money, I buy them GoCat Dry Food (Any Flavours), Purina Dry Food (Chicken Flavour), and recently Whiskas New Dry Food (with soft centres). They eat that, but they will only eat Whiskas wet food pouches, and only a few of those flavours. Modern cat foods are obviously less high-quality than before. Cats are not stupid. My neighbour leaves out ALDI dry food for the feral cats, and they don't touch it, the birds don't even eat it. I put out my own dry cat food for the ferals under the bush and they eat all of that, each day. If you have cats, you just have to find the money to feed them, so I try to work more hours, rather than waste cheap cat food that is left uneaten.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now