Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cat licking where I've just put flea treatment!

(15 Posts)
FushandChups Tue 20-May-14 23:04:41

My lovely little cat was not impressed with me putting flea spot on on the back of her neck and moved so I think quite a bit of it may have ended up in a place she can groom as she now has a horrible wet patch and is deeply unimpressed with me.

I am obviously worried I have poisoned her or will cause her some sort of damage - she licked it when I saw her and gagged! What can I do? The instructions say symptomatic treatment by the vet in case of oral uptake - but hopefully most of it went in the right place... It is, of course, stupidly late and I have two, small DC so can't leave the house sad

Help

FushandChups Tue 20-May-14 23:15:39

Have put a few treats down and she was on them like a devil - super quick! But she's avoiding her usual spot on the bed where she tends to cuddle up to me - is she just giving me the silent treatment rather than anything more worrying?

Wolfiefan Tue 20-May-14 23:22:46

Is the wet patch definitely saliva? Our cat always ends up with a wet patch where the spot on goes.
What are the symptoms you should look for?
Oh and the bed thing? I bet it's sulking/making you suffer!!

FushandChups Tue 20-May-14 23:31:53

it is definitely grooming as the hair is sort of parted and she properly gagged... but the leaflet implies there might be some transient symptoms but I don't know as she is hiding from me (unless I whip out the treats!)

Hopefully she has just got a grump on sad

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 20-May-14 23:40:19

Usually it just causes excessive salivation. In future it should be applied where the head meets the neck and it is impossible for the tongue to get to.

Wolfiefan Tue 20-May-14 23:41:17

Which medicine is it? (I could google for you so you don't scare yourself!)
I'd guess drooling or vomiting etc would be symptoms to watch for.

Wolfiefan Tue 20-May-14 23:42:03

X post.
Lonecat I think the OP tried to do this but the cat wriggled away at the crucial moment!

FushandChups Tue 20-May-14 23:45:02

Thank you and yes, have always used it but she just wriggled forward so it dripped backwards sad It is Advocate and I think/hope most of it was out of reach but she can clearly get to one patch and was going for it!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 21-May-14 07:24:30

You can get 6 month injections for flea control, it's £35 in my vets.

It doesn't give protection from any other parasites though.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 21-May-14 07:42:29

The injections ( Program) don't kill live fleas it only prevent fleas from breeding. The best way to get spot on is to get on your knees clamp cat between knees and then put spot on to stop wriggling. Alternatively switch to the new product Broadline that enables you to stop and start giving the product as cat wriggles away.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 21-May-14 07:43:11

Advocate it is the alcohol carrier that will cause them to froth at the mouth, but nothing worse.

cozietoesie Wed 21-May-14 07:58:36

I actually applied Broadline and the cat didn't notice! It's a really neat applicator and carrier. I think it's not alcohol with Broadline?

(Just don't read the product data sheet at length - it'll take you half an hour and scare the bejeesus out of you.)

FushandChups Wed 21-May-14 15:39:56

Thank you all - she is her usual self today so obviously didn't ingest too much but will take a lot more care in future. she is a bit of a wild one - the only time she's scratched me was when I tried to hold her down for worming... she is very proud of her independence!

SillyMoomin Mon 16-Oct-17 17:19:15

Sorry to redirect!, but my cat has just done the exact same, lunges as I was dropping and it ended up just below her skull- and with a big Stretch round it looks like she can reach it with her grooming.

Should I be worried? It was Bravecto, not advocate

SillyMoomin Mon 16-Oct-17 17:19:32

Resurrect!, not redirect grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now