Advanced search

I reckon I have to put the cat down this morning - DP giving me a really hard time

(24 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Sat 03-May-14 10:05:46

She has a large mass in her abdomen (cancer, likely in bowel too)and weighs 2 kilos, has had diarrhoea for 3 months, and has now (the bit that's made me think it's time) thrown up all food for last day, which her very light weight can't handle.

I took her 3 weeks ago as she was dehydrated and she had anti b's which seemed to help a bit as she kept food down for last 3 weeks.

I think it just bought us that much time and now it's back to being starving but throwing up.

She also looks like she's in pain and she's really skinny, she sits hunched over.

The vet said 3 weeks ago really she wasn't going to get better - and she did for 3 weeks.

Dh was at work yesterday and didn't see how unhappy she looks and is acting like I'm overreacting today - I've got an appt at 11 and that's the last one til Tuesday when they open again.

I don't want her to throw up for the next 3 days and be miserable.

Goblinchild Sat 03-May-14 10:18:47

If you love her, you have to be strong enough to let her go when the quality of her life is heading towards zero. Perhaps your DP isn't.
It's a horrible choice to make, but it's part of the responsibility you take on with owning a pet. I'm so sorry that it's come to this, but you are right.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 03-May-14 10:21:52

I think I'm right too. I left it 6 hours too long with my favourite cat at Christmas after nursing him for a month and I felt terrible.

This time, she's still really affectionate but is fading and I just think she's in a bit of pain.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 03-May-14 10:22:21


LaurieFairyCake Sat 03-May-14 10:22:47

And she's 17 and has had a fab life with us

Goblinchild Sat 03-May-14 10:23:07

It's a tough place to be in, we had to make the choice last year.

Mutt Sat 03-May-14 10:23:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SecretNutellaFix Sat 03-May-14 10:24:05

I'm sorry Laurie- it's the hardest decision to make for a pet.

Better a day too soon than a couple of hours too late.

PassAFist Sat 03-May-14 10:25:10

It is a terrible decision to have to make, but it sounds like her quality of life is almost non-existent at this point. I would not make her wait until Tuesday in that situation.

Follyfoot Sat 03-May-14 10:25:25

Oh bless you sad

Your lovely girl is coming to the end of her days and there is only one outcome from her horrible illness. Better to take her today rather than risk her suffering for several more days. When you look back, the uncertainty over whether you took her a few days 'too soon' would be nothing compared to the thought that she suffered for too long .

Its the last kind thing you can do for her. Sending you flowers

Mutt Sat 03-May-14 10:25:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

3littlefrogs Sat 03-May-14 10:28:01

I think you are right.
I cried all the way home from the vets and most of the week after I had my cat PTS. But the poor thing was in pain, had diarrhoea and couldn't clean herself (she had tumours in her tummy too). My cat had a couple of week's respite with antibiotics too, but it is only a temporary fix.
The vet was lovely and it was very peaceful.
It has to be done, you can't let her suffer. sad

Foodylicious Sat 03-May-14 10:30:04

Take your dh with you, dont go alone. Sure when he sees her in the vets he will see how poorly she really is.
Hth, this is a really tough time.

EauRouge Sat 03-May-14 10:44:36

I feel for you, the exact same thing happened with our cat this week. He was not quite 10 and had a big tumour in his stomach. The vet told us this is usually aggressive in cats. To us there was no real decision- he was going to die anyway (he had maybe a couple of weeks) so we preferred that he went without pain, and we did not want his last couple of weeks to be full of stressful trips to the vet. But it was still bloody hard. I'm sorry you're going through the same thing.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 03-May-14 12:22:47

The vet said she was very dehydrated and that she really only had days left if she wasn't able to eat and that if she wasn't put down today she would suffer.

So dh agreed and she went peacefully, purring and snuggling all the way.

We're now digging a deep hole.

Thank you all. I'm very sad obviously but I know it was the right thing and I can live with that.

EauRouge Sat 03-May-14 12:25:58

Sorry for your loss thanks

Mutt Sat 03-May-14 12:48:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

So sorry, but you did the kindest thing.

ChaircatMiaow Sat 03-May-14 12:57:59

I'm so sorry Laurie thanks

spudmasher Sat 03-May-14 13:02:45

So sorry Laurie. You did the right thing.
It's so sad. They really are part of the family and you've had her for ages. Be kind to yourself. I should think you're feeling exhausted.

PitchSlapped Sat 03-May-14 13:06:06

You did the best thing for her, im so sorry for your loss thanks

NearTheWindymill Sat 03-May-14 13:10:05

I am sorry thanks. A very sad and bad day for you. I think you have done the right thing - not that it helps.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 03-May-14 13:10:11

Aww Laurie. It's so shit isn't it? She's not in any pain now though. Hope you're ok. thanks

Protego Sat 03-May-14 13:13:10

This is something we have a responsibility to do for our pets. Choosing the right time and resisting the vets' attempts to treat and prolong which get them more fees but put our pets under unnecessary stress. It is a good feeling knowing one acted in their best interests - I would not care to have memories of them suffering and miserable because of my indecision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now